Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level B troubles

Whenever my kids get "stuck" on something (math or reading) it seems to help them to back off for a while (a month or more sometimes) on the sticky issue and let them practice more the things they do understand. Then when we try again there is no problem. It seems to me that their brains sometimes need to mature a bit more before they can get it. So maybe play games more and practice things he does well now for a while and maybe that will help.

We just skipped that entire double digit in your head stuff...it's so convoluted, sometimes it just doesn't work for some kids. Mine couldn't figure it out, but now that we are on Level C and we are adding with regrouping, she does it that way (she is currently 8 years old). I would focus on the basic number manipulating (9's trick, etc) every now and then...it will click when he's ready to deal with it. He just may need some better number sense before he can manipulate in his head...don't stress, just move on. :)

Having the same issue at the same point in the book with my six year-old daughter. She does understand the techniques and can apply them to simpler numbers single-y. But double digits, she can do it only if I walk her every step of the way and usually on paper. She can't carry out the process mentally and it's too much for her to even map out on paper by herself most of the time. Although, occassionally she can do some by herself. Thinking of switching to Singapore Math for a while maybe on level 1B. It seems to present math problems in a more varied way (images, graphs, story problems, equations, etc.) and it's way cheaper.

But after reading this thread - I hadn't considered just skipping the mental computation, but maybe that is the best idea. It feels like a bit of a leap from the addition that she just learned to mentally adding double digit numbers using three different techniques! The card games and manipulatives aren't directly associated to this exercise.

What to do?

Hi Dan,

I hope to send you encouragement. My two boys went through level B at the same time. [youngest was 6 and turned 7 in late Sept., the older was 8 and turned 9 in late Oct.]

Level B was harder for my older son than my younger son so be encouraged that your son may just need to mature a bit before he is able to grasp that concept.

Until he is able allow him to use the abacus.

Let him see eight plus six on the abacus.

Have him put eight on the first row and add six on the second row. Let him trade the two beads on the first row to make ten with taking the two beads away from the six to make four. Make sure he is doing the trading at the same time.

Let him explain to you what he did and what happened when he did it. Let him do this [use the abacus] till he tells you he doesn't need to.

Then....have him visualize the abacus...with his eyes open. Give him the same problem or a similar one and let him work the "air abacus" just like the real one...have him use his hands to move the beads over in the air.

A child isn't going to get the concept till they can visualize it. Sure at some point your child will know that 8+6= 14...but until then let him use a real abacus or an "air" abacus...that will help him see the why and not just have a fact memorized. [this is actually very important]

Another benefit of using the abacus is that he will be able to see the fives in the numbers. He will see the fives in adding 8+6 on the abacus. You may find he prefers getting the answer this way.

I was fascinated with my boys because even though they were given the same problem....they usually got it different ways.

When you are doing double digit addition mentally such as 38 + 26=____, revert back to asking it as....What is three ten eight plus two ten six? That was helpful to my sons at the beginning.

Also make sure you are playing the games. You want math to be enjoyable and if you and he are getting frustrated then math will not be "fun".

There was some good advice about just pulling back. But don't pull back to where you aren't doing any math...pull back and find some games to reinforce what he IS able to do. The math games start easy and progressively get difficult so start with the easy one and don't progress until it's too easy for your son.

I really would like to encourage anyone reading this to NOT skip the mental addition. It really is valuable. And while it may appear convoluted...it's probably because we were taught the traditional way of counting and adding. But even I, who use to use her fingers to count, have found this to be a much better and quicker way of adding. And I see how helpful it's been in preparing my boys for the other mental problems.

Remember that RS is not a traditional math program. It is a program that has been written from extensive research and is built on teaching children to understand concepts and discover patterns themselves. Some concepts take longer for some children to grasp and that's ok. Each child is unique and has their own time table. [I still have to ask leading questions on occasion to help my boys see the pattern]

If you child is NOT getting it...go back to what he/she does know and review it and play games to build their confidence up. Then try the concept they were struggling with again.

It's better to take the time now and build a strong foundation...

Debbie