Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What are certain manipulatives used for?

1. Wooden cubes. What are these used for? The current ones aren't colored so they aren't for patterns... Counting?... Could I just use blocks, duplo, etc?

If they're the 1" cubes, they're also, at some point, used for measuring. Lining up the cubes to find length and -- more importantly I think -- area, in a concrete way. Blocks and duplo could probably work, the nice thing about these is that they are exactly 1". There are also plastic 1cm cubes. We haven't used these yet really, so this is just my guess on it.

2. Color Tiles. These seem good for patterns and counting. What else? Other objects could be used for those purposes as well.

Again, the nice thing about these is that you can make grids with them and use them for measuring and calculating area. We have used these a lot in level E, and now with level A for my younger. Yes, for MOST of their usage they're for patterns, etc. And we do sometimes use other things too to mix it up. But both my kids actually really enjoyed the tiles. And there's so many of them in the set, they can be used for lots of things. :)

3. Geometry reflector. Could a mirror be used for this?

No, because it has to be see-through. We haven't used it yet in RS so I'm not sure if it's something that can be done without or not, but a mirror definitely won't work. We did get ours through a local supply store instead of through RS though, since we're international it was cheaper.

4. Yellow is the Sun. Are the songs good and have you found them helpful?

PERSONALLY I don't find them good. No offence RS guys! You're brilliant in math stuff but musically, not so much... (I'm a professional musician). I find them melodically iffy, rhythmically awkward, and lyrically... well, awkward again.

As to whether they're HELPFUL, I think they are. But we chose to just recite them as poetry rather than sung. Except for the 'these numbers start on the right" etc song. I just find that one lyrically PAINFUL and confusing, really. There's no real pattern to it to help the kids remember which numbers go with which group. We skipped that one altogether and she's still learning her numbers just fine.

But all that being said, if you find your kids really benefit from singing to remember and learn, and you're not musical yourself to be able to read and sing the songs straight from the book, then they might be worth it for you.

Re: What are certain manipulatives used for?

Dawn,

Thank you for your message and to Heather thank you for your reply. It is very nice how much our RS users know and can contribute to other users questions.

I was nodding through most of Heather's message as she is spot on with her answers. However, I would say that we do have families who use a mirror as the reflector and it seems to work fine. The only thing I would recommend is that you make sure your mirror can stand alone and is square.

Also, of course we love our music, but I am not a professional musician and respect Heather's opinion in the highest.:) And no offense taken! :)

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.