Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Newbie w/ ?'s re: Levels B and A

Jenny,

Thank you for your message and congratulation on choosing RightStart for your sons.

Lets start with your first son, he sounds like he is very math intuitive, which is a blessing! I love hearing that he likes to remind you the days until his birthday. Don't worry about your son not explaining his mathematical process at this point.

As far as the pace for Level B, you can let him be the guide! If he is ready to move faster, just check to make sure he is understanding and you can feel free to do more than 1 lesson a day. With the abacus, introduce it to him and let him guide his dependance on it. Most children will decide when they do not need to use the abacus to solve problems. Your son may not need the abacus to solve basic problems but will use it as the program progresses for various activities. Don't pressure him to use it, as he will let you know when he needs or doesn't need it.

I would not suggest skipping over any portions, you can just move faster through areas that he understands quickly. Skipping any section could lead to troubles down the road. If you move at a speedy pace you could be moving onto Level C before you know it.

With your second son, we suggest doing 2-3 lessons per week with that the time it takes to do them depends on your sons attention level. If interested he will be attentive for quite some time. Try not to pressure him to work on more than he is ready to, this all comes with age and his ability. The loveliness of homeschooling is that you can do as much or as little as your child's ability allows.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any additional questions we are happy to assist in any way possible.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.