Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just starting out 5 and 7 yr old

Meliss,

Thank you for message. Since your older daughter has had some math experience we don't want to start her with a level that is too "elementary" for her, but we also do not want to stress her out by starting with a level that is too difficult as she struggles. Did you take the Starting Level Questionnaire from our website? (http://www.alabacus.com/questions/). If so did it say to begin on Level B or C?

My first instinct is to recommend Level B for your older daughter and Level A for your younger one. If you begin Level B for your older daughter I would suggest moving quickly as long as she is grasping all of the concepts presented. I would not suggest skipping any lessons for the fear that valuable information may be skipped.

If you do use Levels A and B for your daughters, you would be able to share a lot of the materials between the two children. As far as purchasing, I would suggest buying the Level B Starter Kit for $150 (savings of $50), and add on the Level A Lessons ($45), Level A Worksheets ($5), an additional AL Abacus ($15), geared clock ($3) and place value cards ($5), bringing your total to $223 plus shipping.

I hope this offers guidance for you. Let me know if there is anything else we can help with.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.

Thank you so much for your response. I had pretty much already decided that I would be using Level A with my youngest and Level B with the older one. I'm wondering, though, why you would suggest getting ADDITIONAL abacus, geared clock and place cards? I intend to do Math SEPARATELY with them (one at a time). Is there really a need for THEIR OWN abacus, clock and place cards? Or were you just assuming that we'd be working together? Please advise ASAP as I'm ready to order! :-)

Thanks again!

Melissa,

Thank you for your message and additional information. If you are teaching your children separately then you would not need any additional items. I was assuming that they would be working together, but since this is not the case, they can share all of the items.

I hope this gives you the information you needed to go ahead with your order. Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist with.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.