Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
insecure child

I am going through RightStart Level B for the second time. The first time I did it with my older boy he "got it" before explantations were even out of my mouth. This time, however, my younger child doesn't quite understand the concepts as quickly. We are currently on Lesson 76 and I'm not sure how long I should pause on lessons until concepts are totally understood. One day he understands some things and the next he's confused. He is able to do easily do the work on the abacus yet it's as if he doesn't trust himself (or understand the concept of adding 2 ten, five and 2 ten) when adding things up in his brain...no matter how many times we do both comparing the answers against each other. It's almost as if he thinks it's faster to just use the abacus. So....should we camp out on these lessons or move ahead? Lately the worksheets ask him to do the problems "in his head" but to check the answers using the abacus. This throws him into a panic. Any suggestions?

Need to visualize the AL Abacus

Lori,

It sounds like your younger son doesn't quite have the abacus in his mind yet. Perhaps, when the lesson says "do it in your head", have the abacus in front of him, but challenge him not to touch it. Have him mentally move the beads to create the answer. My daughter needed this step.

How is he when playing card games? Does he use the abacus then? If not, do! Also, have the older son play card games with the younger son.

In regard to moving on or pausing the lessons, pay close attention to the objective of the lesson. Level B Lesson 76 objective is "To mentally add 2-digit numbers". It doesn't say "be proficient in adding 2-digit numbers" or "have mastery in adding 2-digit numbers". It just says to do it and work with it.

The objectives are very important to you as the teacher. They will tell you when you are practicing (Lesson 77), discovering (Lesson 78), learning (lesson 79), recognizing (Lesson 83), or understanding (Lesson 88).

I do hope this helps both you and your son. Have a great day and play a math card game!

Kathleen