Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New to RS, not sure what to purchase

I'm interested in starting my 5 1/2 yo daughter with RS. We have used A Beka for K4 and K5 for our curriculum as a whole and she does well with it. I feel the worksheets can get a little much and wanted to try something different for math. From the placement test questions, it looks like we should go with the Level B for her.

My question is, what all should I buy...I've never tried teaching math in this way, and am eager and willing to learn. I like to have a curriculum to follow, and would rather have too many materials there waiting for me rather then wishing I had purchased additional. I wasn't sure if it would be more difficult since it's a different way of learning math and we didn't start with level A...are we going to be missing anything? I have a 2 1/2 yo son that I plan on homeschooling as well, would it be recommended that when it comes time to start him with more "formal" teaching that I purchase Level A?

So much to think about...

Re: New to RS, not sure what to purchase

Shannon,

Thank you for your message. I sincerely apologize for the delay in responding as your message slipped through the cracks. We are embarrassed and bewildered as to how on earth this happened!

You would be in a perfect position if you purchased Level B for your daughter. She would not be missing out on anything by starting at Level B. As far as what to purchase, I would highly recommend the Level B Starter Kit (http://activitiesforlearning.com/starterkitlevelbwithalabacusstandard.aspx) as this has everything you need to teach Level B. All items can be purchased separately, but buying the kit saves you $50.

With your son I would recommend taking the starting level questionnaire with him when the time comes around for him to begin. Partly because he may be picking up so much RS information from his sister that Level B may be a great beginning place for him also! You will be amazed at how many concepts he will pick up on as your family plays the Math Card Games and what math concepts he grasps from his sisters lessons.

I hope this helps and once again sorry for the delay in responding. Please let me know if there is anything else we can assist with.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.