Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
computer math games?

This may be a duplicate post, but I didnt see the original post in the forum...

I am looking to supplement my once weekly lesson with my 1st grader with a computer based game that she could use durring the week while I am at work.

I do quite a bit of informal review daily at the dinner table and while sitting around the house, and she has a firm grasp of the first 70% of Level B.

She loves to use the computer but I dont want to use something that will compromise the unique teaching style used by Right Start.

Any recommendations??

Re: computer math games?

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your message. I don't believe this is a duplicate post, I didn't find a similar one either.

It is great to hear that you are doing informal review with your daughter at the table and other times. I try to always encourage parents to do that with all of their children, applause to you! :)

At this time we do not have a specific program that we recommend for computer usage. Unfortunately we have not found a company who follows the same philosophy as we do for a particular computer game. It has been an idea that we have tossed around as a company to have our games on the computer, and we are continue to be in the works on that idea.

We do have some of our math card games on YouTube, but nothing interactive. We will make sure to post if we do develop a computer program that would meet your needs.

Thank you again for contacting us. Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.

Now wouldn't that be the best thing in the world? Having kids across the country play the RS games with each other!

I know, I know. It'd cost a pretty penny.

Ann

We are doing level B, as well, and I had my daughter use Rainbow Rock from Singapore. Although the game is really neat, I actually think that some of the procedures it teaches slowed her down when we got to those concepts in RightStart. I prefer RightStart's method, but she had already been exposed to the Rainbow Rock methods, so it took a bit of reteaching to help her understand the RightStart way. I am thinking that we probably will not be using Rainbow Rock in the future. It makes me sad, because it really is a neat computer program. I would love to see RightStart come out with their own computer games!

Lynne,

Thank you for your message. We appreciate hearing from customers! Also thank you for the encouragement on helping get us on the move to create a RightStart computer game.

As stated to Gary this is something we have discussed as a company, and an idea we would like to create very soon. The more we hear from customers about doing this, the more encouraged we feel. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts.

Make it a great day,

Cassie
Activities for Learning-RightStart™ Mathematics
Cassie@ALabacus.com
www.ALabacus.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics.

Well then I'll also add my voice to the 'get a move on' train. :)

My son is very motivated by computer work. We had previously used Teaching Textbooks for one year (before we had heard of RS), and it was the first math program we'd ever used that he actually enjoyed. While I don't think it's the strongest program out there, it broke through his 'math phobia' and I will ever be grateful to them for that.

My younger daughter, only 3, is not math phobic but in fact seems very math-y. We're already doing some simple 'lessons' with her from RS and from Montessori, things normally done with 4-5 year-olds. She also loves playing computer games. We try to not let her do TOO much, but keep it within limits, of course.

But most of the computer games for preschoolers are really quite poor in terms of educational methods. She's currently playing a JumpStart Kindergarten game and loving (and doing well on) the addition and subtraction games. So far, it's not so far removed from RS methodology as to be problematic, but I expect at some point it may become so.

If there were a "RS-friendly" computer game she could play instead, it would make our day! Or week, or month, or year! She plays these games for fun rather than for education, I don't expect her to really learn much from them. But I don't want them to interfere with her learning from other sources either!

I had my daughter play the games on www.dreambox.com I think it supplemented RS very well. It is a program that you have to pay for but you can get a 14 day trial for free. They use the abacus and everything. I loved it. We played it for the summer. It was a very problem solving method and non-traditional. The program was adaptive so it monitored what your child needs to know and changes when the child masters the concept. It was great.

I echo the comments on Dreambox. My daughter (1st grade, currently completing right start C) has been using Dreambox, and it seems to supplement well. We work closely with another homeschooling family who uses Right Start and they also use Dreambox. It is not too expensive (around $10 per month).

As a parent using RS, I would also love to see a computer program to enhance the learning!

I wan to add my voice as well! My daughter will play computer card games all day long but doesn't card too much for playing them with me!

I'm gonna check out this dream box thing, an I look forward to the day when RSM comes out with there own programming.

Lisa Filsell