Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how many min. per week of math games?

I am trying to figure out how to incorporate RS with another math program (either as a supplement or as an equal to the other). I have 2 children ready for math ages 7 1/2 and 5. I know the older one will spend about 20-25 min. of RS a day if we do Level B and the younger will do 10-15 min. a day with Level A. What I don't know is how much time they will spend on Math games per week. I saw one post saying 2-4 days per week, but I don't know how much time should be spent on those days. And I saw one post saying 30 minutes each on Fridays (or one day out of the week). But I don't know if that 30 min. is in addition to time on the other days of the week or not. Please help! Thanks!

Re: how many min. per week of math games?

Shaina,

Thank you for your message! I love the games and enjoy how they help make math fun! :)

While speaking with Dr. Joan Cotter on how to integrate the card games into other lessons and using a time constraint, her response was as follows:

"The games are not something tacked on to a lesson. Rather, games are to math as books are to reading. They are an integral part of some lessons, instead of a worksheet, and extra practice in other lessons. Once the children learn a game, an adult need not be involved. Children dislike having a game disrupted because the clock says so. One of the beauties of homeschooling is allowing a child to pursue an interest, whether it be playing a game or reading a book. Remember, children increase their concentration spans by being allowed to concentrate without being interrupted or watching the clock."

I agree with the concept that there is no real time constraint. I feel that your children will continue asking to play the games at times other than "math time". Which as a parent is a delight to see and hear! :)

Keep up the good work and please let us know if there are any other questions we can help with!

Make it a great day!

Cassie

Cassie,
We are doing Level A with my 5yo. I only do games as they arise in the lessons. Am I supposed to be doing them at other times? At this point, my son is not asking to do them apart from lessons (not that he dislikes when we do them). So, basically, if I understand Dr. Cutter's message, I might suggest/encourage them when possible to keep the math juices working? Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer,

Thank you for your message. You did read Dr. Cotter's message correctly and I will offer additional clarification.

I would suggest to offer the play the games during "non-math time". Ways to do this would be: rainy days, when neighbor kids are over to play, when dad gets home from work, or when grandparents come to visit!

This will create the ever important practice needed to show success for years to come! The more fun you have with them, the more your child will ask to play them!

I hope this offers some clarification, if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Make it a great day!

Cassie