Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level C lesson 23

I have a question in level C lesson 23 regarding practicing the algorithm for mentally adding 2-digit numbers. It states in the lesson that this algorithm needs to be practice to mastery. My daughter struggles with this algorithm. In level B, she always prefered to add the tens together, then the ones, and then add any ten that is traded. She does this quite efficiently. She had trouble understanding the proposed algorithm of taking the first number, then adding tens to get a sum, then adding ones to get the final answer.

My question is whether she needs to understand and master the algorithm right now or if she can continue with the way that works for her? I didn't know if I would run into trouble later in the curriculum if she struggles with the exact algorithm.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I also have to add that I have been so happy with RS math. My daughter has struggled with math, but I know RS is giving her a great foundation and she understands mental math. We were recently on vacation and she added up the cost of some tickets, $50, $50, $13 and $13 and said that would cost $126 for all of us! Awesome! We didn't even ask her to think about it, and she did it all mentally! My husband and I looked at each other and thought "Wow, she's really learning math!" This is after a struggle getting through level B last year. We were very encouraged.

Thanks

Re: Level C lesson 23

Lynne,

Thank you for your message! First of all let my sympathize with your situation on the algorithm practice. Children are taught to read left to right, then we throw in math problems making them do it right to left! No wonder everyone gets confused! :)

This will come to her, but as far as suggestions to get the process moving quickly, I do have a couple suggestions that may work for both of you! This will probably take a little extra work on your part, but the long term results will be worth it!

The first suggestion I have is to write down a few 2 digit problems for her to practice, when showing them to her, expose the full problem and then only show her the right column, then the left. The second one is to do some problems on the back of the AL Abacus by asking her which column you do first, or which column is listed first to work on.

Also feel free to bring up to her that doing math is backwards from reading, this may help her remember how it goes. Even though she is very efficient with her math, the mastery of algorithm is very important for her!

I hope the suggestions help! I am so happy to hear that she is loving math and doing great with it. Sounds like fun that she is using it on vacation to figure out situations! What a real world application that was! :) Tell her that here at RightStart we are very proud of her! :)

Don't hesitate to ask me if there is anything else we can help with! :) Keep us posted on her results!

Thank you!

Cassie

My daughter does the steps correctly in her head. Do I have to make her name and write out the intermediate steps on the worksheet?

Hi, Valerie!

If your daughter has a complete grasp of the concept, there is no need to write down the steps. You may want to have her do a couple of them just so you can be sure she is doing them correctly in her head. Other than that, let her go at it! :-)

Have a fabulous day!
Rachel