Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How important is visualization?

Linzy,

Thank you for your message. I apologize that it has taken me so long to respond, I am traveling and finally getting caught up on everything!

I did talk to Dr. Joan Cotter on your situation and she let me know the following information to help you out,

Visualization is a very important skill. It is necessary in many aspects of everyday life and essential in fields, such as architecture, engineering, medicine, science, construction, and so forth.

When your child was 3, could he answer the question, "How old are you?" with 3 fingers? How about age 4? Age 5? I found it's better not to start the AL Abacus until the child can show quantities 1 through 10 with fingers. Work first with fingers on the left hand for quantities 1-5. Then work with the song, "Yellow is the Sun" for quantities 6 to 10. It's not so much visualizing, but learning the names for these quantities.

Dr. Cotter is spot on with her suggestions. Also you can do different mental activities as in asking him to picture how many candles will be on his next birthday cake. Once he tells you he can see it, tell him to draw it out. Activities like this can be done anytime not just during math time. Even asking him to close his eyes and picture a friend or relative in his head. With his eyes closed ask him to tell you what they look like. As before these activities can be done anytime, in the car, on a walk, during family time...ect.

I hope these ideas work well, keep us posted on any other questions you have or if any other activities you try are successful. Don't hesitate to contact us with any further questions!

Make it a great day!

Cassie