Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should we start back in B?

We used RS A and enjoyed it, but decided to go with Singapore next for a number of reasons. The largest reason being that she really placed in B, but this forum strongly recommended that we do A, based on her age. So we did and it was WAY too easy. That made me frustrated because we'd spent all this money on it. So after she did A (which took about 3 months, maybe less) we went to Singapore 1A/1B. We've enjoyed it but I'd like to go back to RightStart, despite the initial poor placement. I'm guessing we'd go back to RS B, but I don't think we should start at the beginning. DD is really good with math and doesn't like it to be too easy. She does math worksheets/games for fun.

I just did the placement questionare, and she really places in C. But that seems a bit excessive to me. I'm fine going back to B I guess, but I don't think she'll need all of it. She does basic math, reads, understands place value to thousands, can add two digit numbers, and understands basic mulitplication concepts, but doesn't have the basic mulitplication facts down. We will keep doing Singapore 2A/2B just for fun, since she loves it so much. I just think she needs more of what RightStart can offer us. It was just so frustrating for me with A, but she did learn a lot. Please help!

Re: Should we start back in B?

Ashley,

Hello! Thank you for your message, glad we can be of assistance! Most of all, welcome back to RightStart! :)

Sorry to hear about doing level A in a breeze, the first 23 lessons in Level B are going to be an exact repeat of A. So you can skip them, and the table of contents notes this also!

Now from what I understand, she is testing at a Level C but I am sensing you don't want her to miss any of the concepts that Level B covers. We all like a solid foundation.

Of course each child is different and unique. In addition, as a parent, you know your child best! From what you have told me, and knowing that she was using Singapore, I would say Level C is the best choice.

My reasoning is as follows: she has a solid foundation and can use the AL Abacus from Level A with RightStart, she seems to enjoy math, and she is already tasting what multiplication is like!

I think if you spend time doing Level B, you will find that she is already past that and it may start to bore her. As long as her addition and subtraction concepts are solid moving to C should not be a large jump. She will be introduced to multiplication in C and the games will help reinforce the facts and solidify any addition and subtraction concepts she may need to review!

As a parent you know your child the best! And the benefit of homeschooling is that you can work at your own pace! :) If you feel more comfortable doing Level B, go ahead just know that you will breeze right through it! Not that its a bad thing, but you may just discover that what is done in Level B, you have already completed!

I hope this has been helpful! Let me know what else we can help you with! Keep us posted on your decision and the results! We wish you and your daughter nothing but the best of success!

Thank you again for your message! Make it a great day!

Cassie

Re: Should we start back in B?

Thanks so much for the quick response! I'm really going to need to weigh our options. For some reason, it was one thing in my mind to START with B, but something else to skip over it to C. LOL I'm not sure why. I don't want to get B and have the same thing happen as did with A-just rush through it with it being a bit too easy. At the same time, I don't want to push her. She's only 5, she just LOVES math and really understands it well. She also loves playing Chess-it's just how she thinks. I will think hard about your suggestions. I may do B and just do the lessons that it looks like she really needs. That way I'll also have B for my other children when they get there. I'm going to keep thinking.... Thanks again for the suggestion!