Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 7yo dd STILL struggling with Level B

Hello Jana,

Thank you so much for your message! We are here for encouragement at all times! I apologize in my delay in responding to your message as I was gathering data and taking a deeper look into your individual situation.

I feel bad the there as been a struggle and we want the usage of RightStart to be as smooth and enjoyable (hence the games!) as possible!

Now as far as the repeat of B or moving on, this is a tough question. Of course you know your daughter and son the best. I see your point about playing it safe and repeating B with the brother also working through B, this can create a challenge and also a teaching experience for her! She will feel challenged by her brother but able to help him mature throughout the program!

In deciding what to do, I would spend the summer working on games (make sure the AL Abacus is near by) and using math in an everyday setting also! This helps remind her that math can be fun and that math is a part of our daily lives! At the end of the summer, after spending time on games and fun, retake the Starting Level Questionnaire and see how much more your daughter has advanced. She could be ready to tackle C or your option of working with her and her brother on B may be the best route to take!

When doing the mental problems with your daughter, I would strongly advise having the AL Abacus within reach, this helps her see the mental picture. She most likely won't be using the AL Abacus even for the easy problems but the security of having it there, will help her "see" the picture! You may find her using it for easy problems, but she will soon realize that it takes more time to move the beads than it does to just give the answer, since she does "know" the answer!

Now with the clock concepts, how many games have you been playing? If you don't have the Math Card Games Book, I highly suggest getting it, as pages 49-59 is full of games, there is a total of 30 games just on clocks! Game number 1 will be the easiest and the difficulty level rises with the game number. I think this will offer a fun and low pressure way of working with time. What child doesn't enjoy playing a game. To add a different spin on it, don't play the game during regular "math" time, do it at night as a family. Therefore there is no pressure to always get the answer right for a lesson. This way your daughter is working on her concepts, she is also wanting to do well because of her brother playing, and you are spending time as a family! I see this as a win-win situation. If you are interested in the Math Card Games Book its only $25, and since you have the cards from purchasing a kit, you would be set!!! :)

For the summer I HIGHLY suggest taking some time and just playing the games. I would suggest again to purchase the Math Card Games Book which has the following chapters; Numeration, Addition, Clocks, Multiplication, Money, Subtraction, Division, Fractions, and Curriculum Games! Emphasize that you are playing a GAME not doing a math lesson. As I mentioned above, play the games as a family, or even on a rainy day. Make sure your son is involved as they will learn quickly off of each other! Also play some of the easier games first as this will be a confidence builder for your daughter, and feel free to involve grandparents when they visit, neighbor kids, church friends, the more the merrier!

I hope I have answered your questions! Please feel free to contact us via the forum or our customer service number at 888-272-3291, which is handled by parents who homeschool everyday!

Don't be stressed out! Take a break and play a math game! :) Have a wonderful day! :)