Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level A Q's

Wendy and Amber,

Thank you for your questions! I am sure many other individuals are also interested in this information.

I spoke with Dr. Joan Cotter regarding the higher level thinking of how RightStart Mathematics works. The answer was as follows, which I feel is spot on;

I presume that "higher level learning" means deeper thinking not possible with rote memorizing. RightStart Math engages in very little rote memory, only when necessary (names of numbers; geometric terms, for example, parallel, perpendicular). Right from the beginning, children are asked to explain how they know, which leads to higher level thinking and learning. In order to learn at a higher level, one must see the big picture, which is why children work with thousands in first grade. RightStart Mathematics avoids making statements to children that must be unlearned later, such as "You can't take 8 from 5."

I couldn't agree more with Dr. Cotter and you will see the "higher level learning" results with you child using RightStart Mathematics. The child's ability to complete the math and more importantly understand why they are doing it is amazing! :)

As far as the rest of your questions go, the kindergarten lessons are meant to be one for every 2 days. Therefore with the 77 lessons, that should last you a full year. Sometimes we forget that a kindergarten child has a very different attention span than even a first grade student!

Thank you for checking out our forum board and for your insightful questions. Another area to explore is our yahoo group as it is an independent forum, and there is a variety of information discussed!

Please let us know if you have any additional questions as we are here to help in any way possible!

Thank you,

Cassie