Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level E Lesson 62 Problem

We just did lesson 62, converting fractions, decimals, and percents with a calculator.

We came upon a problem with the worksheet. There are two tables. In the first table, the first column has the written-out number which the student then writes in the other columns as the equivalent fraction, decimal, and percent. No problem.

The second table is the same except the first column is blank. In other words, the whole table is blank (other than the problem numbers, ie, #17-32). So my son was like "huh? what am i supposed to do here?"

The answers in the Lesson book have written-out numbers for #17-32. There are no instructions for the parent to read these out loud to the student. So my assumption is that this is a typo and they are supposed to be written in the first column of the second table as well.

Also, the second table adds a qualifier to the decimals and percents to round the answers, which the first table didn't have (and didn't need since they were simple answers). The decimals column instructs to round to hundredths. This should be thousandths, according to what was practiced in the lesson and the answers in the lesson book.

It also seems to me that the first table is supposed to be done without the calculator, in your head, since it's basic ones like 47/100 and 2/2. But the second table would be done with the calculator (since it's more complicated conversions like 2/9 and 8/11). If I'm correct in this assumption, it isn't made clear in the instructions at all. Are they supposed to just do the first table in their head, like they've learned to do in the lesson, or is it expected for them to use the calculator for the entire exercise?

Re: Level E Lesson 62 Problem

Hi Heather,

I am looking into this.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Dr. Cotter Wrote...
Dear Heather,

Thanks for writing and pointing out a few problems. They have now been corrected. I'm attaching the correct worksheet.

Have a great day,

Joan A. Cotter, Ph.D.
RightStart Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.
http://www.alabacus.com

End Quote..

And she sent you the updated page, via email.
I hope it was more helpful.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Yup, it did the trick. I think it's wonderful how the creator of the series is so directly involved with the users, this isn't just some big-corporation anonymous kind of thing.

Cool new forum layout, BTW.