Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level A lesson 49

I am having a bit of confusion for counting the dimes. In the part where the question is How many dimes do you need to make 1 dollar? the answer says 10, I'm assuming that means 10 dimes, but then it asks how many for 2 dollars? answer 2-ten, which makes me think of 2 dimes is it supposed to say 20-ten and then the next is how many in 3 dollars, and it say 3-ten. I'm confused, is this an error or am I not getting it. We started counting the dimes as 1-ten cents(one dime) 2-ten cents (two dimes) and so on, but this next part seem odd I couldn't finish the lesson because I was confused so I thought I would ask for help before I continued it.

Re: Level A lesson 49

I can see how this might be a little confusing. The key is in what you are counting.

When you were counting the worth of the dimes [1-ten cents (one dime), 2-ten cents (two dimes), etc.] It was in the value of cents.

When asked how many dimes are in 2 dollars, The answer is the number of dimes. It may help to add the word dimes to your answer. You need 10 dimes to make a dollar, 2-ten dimes to make 2 dollars and 3-ten dimes to make 3 dollars.

HTH,
Valerie

Valerie's right. If you think about it, by your logic of "20-ten cents" for two dollars, then the answer for one dollar would be TEN-ten cents, not just ONE-ten cents.

So while you're correct that one dime equals 1-ten cents (and that's a good way to count it when showing the value of a dime), the question isn't how many CENTS are in 2 dollars, but how many DIMES. 20 dimes, which in 'math language' is 2-10 dimes.

Hello Venla,

After looking into this and speaking with you. I will advise to have the words 2-ten dimes added in the text.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics