Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Level A is 3 lessons a week

Dear Sana,

The time frames Dr. Cotter has given for each level is her estimation as to how to complete the program in a standard 180 day school year.

As homeschoolers we are afforeded the option of speeding up or slowing down. Dr. Cotter would never wish a child to complete math in one school year if they hated math, and were not learning. That goes against our very Mission Statement: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics. Instead she created guidelines and that is her recommendation to complete a level a school year-5 lessons a week.

I personally do it differently, I do about 165 days of math in one year, but I limit my time to 30min a math session. I take longer than a school year to do a math level, but my kids are good at math why would I change it? Plus I have found with all 3 of them, that the longer I took on the lower levels the faster I am going in the higher levels. So by age 12 ½ all of my kids will be done with RS, at the rate they are going. But to clarify, my goal is not to speed through this program, nor is it to hurry and get my kids in algebra. It just seems to workout that way.

Anyway, if you child is not enjoying math, I vote that you do less time like (20 min a math lesson, and then 10 min of a game) for about three weeks and see if she doesn’t warm up to the idea that math is not torture. Then add, in increments of, five minutes each week until the math lesson is 30min, and you are doing the games 2-4 times a week for about 10-20 min. Doing an hour of math is not feasible for learning math in a homeschool environment. When I first started homeschooling I was doing math for 50min trying to stay with the recommended lessons per week…he was only 5 ½! He was crying and I was looking into private schools. It was nuts! Then I had a good friend tell me to dump half of my subjects and to cut the amount of time I was spending in math and phonics in half…what a difference! Homeschooling was finally managable, my son was happily learning and I was excelling as a teacher/mentor. I was the master of learning, not my curriculum.

For your particular situtiation I would recommend you take time for reviewing some concepts she has learned so she can review and see that she has been improving in her math skills.

Whatever you do, do not worry about falling behind in math. She will only be behind if she learns to fear math, and if she is rushed through it so she can say she was taught it, but never learned it. The best way not to fall behind is to take the time now to teach her so she is learning it. If she understands it, she will not fear it, if she doesn’t fear it she will only improve her skills and get faster. Take all the time she needs to learn it. If you are doing math consisently, and playing the games she will learn this.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics