Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

Hello Carolyn,

I think 10 minutes a day is fine, if you are doing the 2-4 times a week, because I think that less time with more days is better than a long session with many days of no games-- but some games are better then no games.

Remember, the games are more than reinforcement; it is the way the brain will be wiring the math concepts to their brain. Instead, of the brain being wired to rote memorization (like you will find in doing worksheets and flashcards), they will be engaged with the math and thus it will be wired to the logic and strategy part of their brain. This creates a completely different result of the child’s ability to recall the information when they need it.
The best example I can give you is this, Think of being at the grocery store. and you see bananas for 55cents a lb and you need three pounds. If you were a rote child who lived with worksheets, your mind will first try to solve it by thinking 55 x 3= and then proceed to look for a piece of paper or do the carry over in the air. Otherwise, you will get frustrated and you will then decide that you have to add 55+55+55= and you start with your ones place then with your tens place. Now, for the gifted in math who figured out that there was a better way to do this and those who use this program they would proceed to solve it by grouping the ten to make 150, then add in the 15 ones and know they will spend $1.65 for bananas. Of course, I gave a simple problem, for you and I can use simplicity where we can find it, but the reality is in the grocery store and elsewhere we need to understand numbers, and not rely only on our rote memory, this will handicap our math ability and our enjoyment of our math skills. For this reason, I tell you that the games are much more then reinforcement, but the path on which to build functioning math skills.

I am glad that you are choosing this program, as a math teacher you will see how revolutionary this program is and I would not be surprised if you wish you had this program back when you were teaching. There are days, as I research the data on our nation’s test scores, and think if only they would teach this way to children they would perform so much better, but I am glad that we homeschoolers have access to it, this is a great program.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics