Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

If you're going to switch, might as well switch now. The transition will be easy. I know people who do both RS and SM using RS as the main spine and dabling in SM. I like SM CWP books.

Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

Hello Carolyn,

My story is I was using MUS and switched to RS after six months, as my son completed the first level in that time frame, because it was mostly worksheets so he would just sit and do all the worksheets, as I was going to buy the next level, I found this.

I knew it had the right elements I had been searching for , but at the time no one I knew had even heard of it. But as I am one to break from the crowd I bought this and at first I was wondering why I did, until one day I saw the beauty of the program. With the games and the activities my son was learning and UNDERSTANDING major math concepts in a stress-less environment. He was enjoying the time we were spending together, and he was learning. Granted there are time we were stressed but it was entirely my fault as a first-time mom and first-time homeschooler. Once I learned to shorten my time for each lesson 20-25min for Level B, 30 min for C-E), and to linger longer on some lessons, and to play more and more games (DO NOT SKIP THE GAMES)I knew this was a superior choice.

All three of my kids do very well in math in the levels that they are in.

I think it is fine if you choose to switch mid-year, and since he is 6 you can take your time and do Level B this year and most of next, then when you move on to Level C (which takes longer than a school year to complete) you can finish it the following year.
Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

I am glad you told me to only do Level B for 20-25 minutes. I have been so frustrated at how long Math was taking me with two children...and I have two little ones to add in a few years as well. I know I didn't necessarily need to start my younger one this year as he is just 4, but as I said before he LOVES math, so how could I resist? So, my question is how long should I work with him on Level A each day? I really want to keep our Math time to an hour total each day if possible, though it may be possible to add in learning games a few times a week in the evenings after dinner.

Also, are the math games something our whole family can do together or will each of them have to play with someone separately since they are on different levels?

Also, one more quick question. My daughter just turned seven and is in 1st grade this year. Since we are starting Level B in the middle of the year, and we are only doing it 20-25 minutes a day about 4 or 5 days a week, how long should it take us to get through this level? Will she be prepared for standardized tests in March or April? Right now she knows her doubles facts and her +1s and +2s and she can count to 100 and of course knows her shapes and such. We have worked with money and time some, but I doubt she could do that without help. I just don't want her to feel unprepared during the test.

I am excited and can't wait till my box of RS gets here so we can get started!!

Re: Re: Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

Hello Shaina,

You have so many good questions I will try to answer them clearly, but if I don’t please ask me again, so I don’t leave you confused.

“My question is how long should I work with him on Level A each day?”
I would suggest about 10- 15 min about 3 times a week. Make it look like it is more of a game then an actually sit down, and sit still lesson.

“Are the math games something our whole family can do together?”
Some the whole family can play like corners, Rows and columns, Go to the Dump, and others, but some only need one or two players and that can be done by the children, without the parent ( but I always recommend that the parent first teach the game and play a game several times before leaving the children to play by themselves).

“How long should it take us to get through this level? “
You have many variables that can make her go quickly or slow her down. I suspect that some lesson will take her one day to complete, and others will take longer. If you are mostly doing 4days a week it may be longer than a school year to complete. It should not be much longer. If it does take longer take that time, because, in my opinion, Level B is a crucial foundation that needs to be fully understood, especially the place value and the number quantities. But if you are consistent and playing the games I don’t foresee a major delay in the program.

“Will she be prepared for standardized tests in March or April?”
I can’t answer this with any certainty, as it is mid-year that you are starting, I don’t know the math program she was on, or her true capability of the math concepts you described she could do. I do trust that what she has learned in our program she will score well on. The only thing I would mention is that perhaps you can opt out of testing until 4th grade. Testing at an early age only adds stress to a child and does not reveal true knowledge of a child. You may want to look into that route. If not let her know that she will take a test, prepare her that how she does is not of concern, as it is only a formality of the school districts. Her goal should be that she can use math in real life and be able to explain HOW she solved the problems. This is the true test that counts at this early stage of their math skills. Please let me encourage you not to put too much weight on the standardized testing at this year age. The time will come soon enough in high school where it will mean everything, so for now let her just enjoy learning the ideas of mathematics, it will pay off in the higher grades.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Re: Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

Hi Carissa,

Thank you for your prespective. I am on my first year of homeschooling, beyond Kindergarten, with a dd4.5 and dd3! I am gradually working towards doing "less" curriculum and focusing on math, reading and writing, with FUN science and mostly family reading of history books from the library.

It helps to hear from others who use a short Math time! This relates to my question since I do not have the materials in hand yet, though they are on order. What is the recommended time for games? I could see us spending 10 minutes a day, or incorporating it into family game evenings. I've seen you recommend 2-4 times a week on other posts. I would guess repetition is more important, i.e. playing a game for a short time on many days provides more benefit than one long session once or twice a week.

I'm was a public school math teacher, many years ago, so I was intrigued by RightStart program, but had already bought the other for this year and decided to go with Plan A. I'm ready for Plan B so that hopefully both of us will look forward to Math Time. I like math, obviously, and my son understands much, but I love the concept of games as reinforcment.

Thansk again! - Carolyn

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hello Carolyn,

My story is I was using MUS and switched to RS after six months, as my son completed the first level in that time frame, because it was mostly worksheets so he would just sit and do all the worksheets, as I was going to buy the next level, I found this.

I knew it had the right elements I had been searching for , but at the time no one I knew had even heard of it. But as I am one to break from the crowd I bought this and at first I was wondering why I did, until one day I saw the beauty of the program. With the games and the activities my son was learning and UNDERSTANDING major math concepts in a stress-less environment. He was enjoying the time we were spending together, and he was learning. Granted there are time we were stressed but it was entirely my fault as a first-time mom and first-time homeschooler. Once I learned to shorten my time for each lesson 20-25min for Level B, 30 min for C-E), and to linger longer on some lessons, and to play more and more games (DO NOT SKIP THE GAMES)I knew this was a superior choice.

All three of my kids do very well in math in the levels that they are in.

I think it is fine if you choose to switch mid-year, and since he is 6 you can take your time and do Level B this year and most of next, then when you move on to Level C (which takes longer than a school year to complete) you can finish it the following year.

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Re: Re: Re: Switching to Right Start "mid-year"

Hello Carolyn,

I think 10 minutes a day is fine, if you are doing the 2-4 times a week, because I think that less time with more days is better than a long session with many days of no games-- but some games are better then no games.

Remember, the games are more than reinforcement; it is the way the brain will be wiring the math concepts to their brain. Instead, of the brain being wired to rote memorization (like you will find in doing worksheets and flashcards), they will be engaged with the math and thus it will be wired to the logic and strategy part of their brain. This creates a completely different result of the child’s ability to recall the information when they need it.
The best example I can give you is this, Think of being at the grocery store. and you see bananas for 55cents a lb and you need three pounds. If you were a rote child who lived with worksheets, your mind will first try to solve it by thinking 55 x 3= and then proceed to look for a piece of paper or do the carry over in the air. Otherwise, you will get frustrated and you will then decide that you have to add 55+55+55= and you start with your ones place then with your tens place. Now, for the gifted in math who figured out that there was a better way to do this and those who use this program they would proceed to solve it by grouping the ten to make 150, then add in the 15 ones and know they will spend $1.65 for bananas. Of course, I gave a simple problem, for you and I can use simplicity where we can find it, but the reality is in the grocery store and elsewhere we need to understand numbers, and not rely only on our rote memory, this will handicap our math ability and our enjoyment of our math skills. For this reason, I tell you that the games are much more then reinforcement, but the path on which to build functioning math skills.

I am glad that you are choosing this program, as a math teacher you will see how revolutionary this program is and I would not be surprised if you wish you had this program back when you were teaching. There are days, as I research the data on our nation’s test scores, and think if only they would teach this way to children they would perform so much better, but I am glad that we homeschoolers have access to it, this is a great program.

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com