Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level B questions

I am currently using RS Math Level B. I switched from MUS Alpha after my 6 yr old daughter became completely confused trying to learn subtraction with the single strategy presented in MUS. I did not want to frustrate her more. I dropped the MUS and finished her first grade year reviewing and trying to make math enjoyable.

She is now a 2nd grader. We backtracked and started with level B because I wanted her to have a good foundation in RS. RS has been wonderful for her. I love the program because it helps me determine if she really understands math. My daughter has a creative-oriented brain and is very observant and talented in verbal and artistic areas, but seems to struggle with math. I do find it challenging that I can teach her something and two weeks later, she can’t remember how to do it. I’m assuming it’s best to add in more review for this situation.

We are approaching Lesson 63 “Sums = to 11.” She knows her 10 facts well, but I’m afraid she will become confused and frustrated with Lesson 63. I was thinking of skipping this lesson and coming back to it later, but wondered your advice. Maybe I should stop and review for a few weeks, then proceed? But I hate the thought of confusing her and losing the progress we have made thus far. We have made good progress so far, but it seems we are getting to a place where she is really having to work hard to learn each lesson.

One other question: I was wondering why RS Math waits so long to introduce subtraction. I have to admit, I’m a little panicky that she’s a second grader with no understanding of subtraction when I see what second graders are supposed to be able to complete on standardized tests. Can you give me any reassurance in this area?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Level B questions

Hello Lynn,

My recommendation is to try the lesson instead of skipping it. There are many times we think a child will not get the lesson coming up only to find they understood it, so first try it. If after the lesson she does not understand what was taught then you may want to make a note of that and bring it back regularly for review by the doing the games suggested in Lesson 63.

I want to strongly encourage you that if you feel she needs more review, she needs to be playing more games. You should be doing games 2-4 a week.

Your daughter is not unique in forgetting what was just taught to them, I hear this over and over, and am blessed with one myself. In my opinion the best way to get through to those children are to break the learning into smaller chunks of time and information. But again, games will help the most for her review.

Finally, about subtraction, I love how this program approaches subtraction, and studying the subject on my own, I find Dr. Cotter has done a fabulous job presenting subtraction, in the correct manner and in the correct timing. In Level B subtraction is done all along. The formal “math” way is not introduced until the end of Level B, but the child has been doing a stress-less subtraction much of the time. When the child did Whole-and-Part Circles, there was subtraction. When the child did Addition Memory or Go to the Dump, they were doing subtraction. When they did the 8and 9 strategies, they were doing subtraction. So the child was doing subtraction but not the “technical” and typical way subtraction is taught. Then finally once they have place value down, the program moves on to subtraction. You see without understanding place value subtraction, for a young child, can get very confusing. So after place value, Dr. Cotter teaches a more formal subtraction. And when she does she teaches the many ways it can be done.

(Here is where I can get Nerdy in my excitement for teaching subtraction)

Subtraction is more than going backwards on a number line.
It also can be going forward. It can be manipulating numbers. There is a range of what subtraction is doing depending on the problem you are solving or the way your brain organizes information. I teach three kids and not one of them subtracts the same way and only one subtracts the way my brain does it. Yes, it can get confusing to teach but they are almost always correct in their answers and they are solving correctly so I don’t fight the way their brain works. That again, brings up the beauty of this program and of homeschooling, we can teach all the different ways to solve it and then let them choose the way that fits their thinking best.

So to answer your subtraction question, I panicked also as I thought we would be behind, but the truth is most children fall behind in math because they skip the fundamentals in mathematics and go straight for the addition and subtraction memorization, only to find they learned nothing and in higher math they require tutors, or remedial math. So fear not the program has a plan, and the plan works well when you are teaching consistently, limiting the amount of time you spend per session, and PLAYING the games 2-4 times a week.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics