Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Worksheet problem in Transitions

We've just done lesson T30, Perimeter, with the accompanying worksheet T10 (also to be used with Area, T31).

They have to measure the sides of the rectangles with their inch ruler and the inch tiles.

The problem is -- the sides aren't even inches. Every side is a little bit short of what they're supposed to be (according to the answers). Like, 5-1/2" instead of 6", or 1-7/8" instead of 2".

My suspicion is that the copy ratio was changed in the printing process somewhere along the way, that the rectangle was originally 6"x4" but it got shrunk in printing.

My son, who is quite experienced with measuring and perimeter was just a quick review for him, was able to figure out what was happening right away and 'round up' to the appropriate whole inches. But if there was a kid doing this who was less experienced, I can see it being VERY difficult for them.

Re: Worksheet problem in Transitions

I'm also now going through the "Corrections" sheet for the Transitions manual. First of all, this is not obviously easy to find on the site at ALL, I found it quite by chance.

All of the corrections seem to be up to date in my book, except for one.

Appendix page 14, there's a correction made to basically change "the children" to "the child" -- but my copy still says "To engage the children more fully, after several strategies have been named, ask them to vote on the one they think is best. Then ask them to explain their reasoning."

So not only is "children" not updated, but it's quite tricky for one child to "vote", and that's not even listed as a correction in the errata.

I'm fairly sure I came across a few more instances of it referring to a group of children rather than one, I might go through the book again and point them out for you -- or, come to think of it, I might have noticed them while thumbing through the level E book instead. In either case, if I find typos I'll try to bring them to your attention.

Re: Re: Worksheet problem in Transitions

Hello Heather,

We are always glad to have more eyes helping us to catch any errors.

We will look into this further.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: Re: Worksheet problem in Transitions

Whee, I found another one! :)

Page 64 in the lessons book, lesson T31, it says "Point out two pictures, windows, or other areas in the CLASSROOM".

Now it's true that many homeschoolers do set up at-home 'classrooms', but not all of us do. :) So it does some across as a 'school' instruction not adapted to the home.

(When I was in school, I was the snotty little kid always correcting the teachers' mistakes heh... forgive my perverse pleasure in proofreading!)

Hello Heather,

We are looking into this as our copies measure exactly.

In side your book on the page that has the ISBN number (the second page) there should be a month and a year, can you tell me what it reads?

Thank you for letting us know and I look forward to getting that date.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Re: Re: Worksheet problem in Transitions

Hi and thanks for your reply. The month and year in the workbook are June 2007. I had previously checked that our lessons book is June 2008, it hadn't even occurred to me that the workbook might be an older printing.

Hi Heather,

We have investigated this and cannot come up with why your rectangles don't measure up.

The copies we have from April 2006 to Aug 2008 all measure exactly. We have not had any other complaints about the measurements. This is perplexing. I wonder if you used the exact page from the book or did you photocopy it? At least then we could assume the copier changed it.

If it is a problem, you can send back your defective book and we can replace it with a new book.

Though this seems to be an isolated case, we thank you for pointing this out to us, so we can be on the look out for this.

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Hello Heather,

As far as the corrections with "children" vs "child" is concerned the corrections page will be changed and it will be left as "children", because many of the games can be played with more than one child, and we would rather that inference than limit the games to a single child. Also, I like that you like to be a critical thinker, but a single child can vote. Every person singularly votes and the majority wins. The single child is the majority, but their vote is just as relevant.

Finally, in regards to “Classroom”, that will stay too, as most homeschoolers understand what the term means, and though I don’t have separate classroom apart from my living room, I understand that she is limiting the scope to the room we are in and since she can’t know where it will be, “classroom” becomes to universal choice.

Well, it sounds like you are having fun proof-reading. We welcome input and always consider it, so keep up the good work!

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com