Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How many manipulatives for two kids?

The kit comes with tons of tiles. I haven't used level B myself yet, but unless there are exercises where each kid has to use 50+ tiles, I think there's plenty to share.

The card games are usually done multi-player anyway. There are lots of cards in each set, I can't imagine you'd need two sets.

You might want two sets of place value cards, unless you're just going to make your own (I believe there is a master in the appendix which you can copy onto cardstock).

The math balance is pretty big, so I think you'd be able to share it between the two boys rather than trying to find space for two of these lol... they could take turns when needed, or use it cooperatively.

I don't know if you'd need two geometry reflectors, I imagine you'd be able to take turns.

As for the cost over the years, if you look in the online store at each level there's a "top-up kit" for those coming from the previous level (as opposed to those starting at this level coming from another program, who need the whole starter kit). This includes the lesson and workbook as well as any new manipulatives needed for that level.

So it is kind of expensive, but I think it's worth it... especially when you're able to reuse manipulatives and the lesson books with your younger kids later. I'm starting my son with Transitions lessons into level E, but will still be able to use many of his manipulatives when my younger daughter starts level A in a couple years. :)

I would think you would need a starter kit, an extra workbook and abacus and everything else would be pretty much covered.

Hello Heather,

You should get the Level B Standard Starter Kit $150, plus and extra standard abacus, and extra worksheet, an extra base-ten picture cards, and depending who you talk to an extra set of place value cards.
And for your 4uo the Level A Lessons and Level A Worksheets.

I highly recommend that you get the Math Card Games book too, as there are more games to do.

The clock, math balance, and things like that can be shared.
There enough tiles and tally sticks for both,

I do high recommend your being willing to separate them if one is excelling or the other is struggling, so I am glad that you are prepared for that.

When it comes to price the good news is the more children you have, the cheaper this program becomes. But it is true it can seem pricey for the first child, but I have personally done a price comparison of other products and find that RS is not overly pricey.

I know when I started using the program the price startled me too, but I can only tell you how worth it it is has been. Honestly, for the amount of math ability my children have compared to the cost the program RS is not very pricey at all.

I know you can't see this coming in to the program, but now that I have one that has gone through the whole program, and entering the higher math stage, it is clear that RS was the superior choice for my children to be prepared in higher math thinking skills.

If you buy the starter kit, each year you will add the next Lessons and Worksheets and any needed manipulative for the next Level. But for the next child all you need is the worksheets. So for instance, my first child I had to buy the Lessons, worksheets and manipulatives each level, but for my next two I only bought the worksheets. So in the long run the savings was in having more students :)

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics