Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level D lesson six or so...

Caroline had an assignment yesterday that I thought was very interesting - constructing addition equations with cards (well, we just used the basic number cards) of 1,2,5,5,6,6,7,8,9,and 0.

It struck me as a very different assignment - so open-ended and inviting of exploration. I'll admit that she was just frozen at first - had no idea what on earth she was supposed to do. But she got into the spirit of it fairly well, with some help.

The other interesting thing is that my younger daughter, Meredith, was very watchful of what Caroline was up to. When she finished an equation, Meredith hovered and said, "Is she right?"

I didn't answer her - I told her to figure it out herself - and she DID - using side 2 of the abacus. I thought she did really well for a Level B lesson 53 girl...she needs the occasional reminder to not just pull her trades down but to pull UP the corresponding "carry-over," but she understands, and what's more exciting - she likes it.

I see a big difference between Caroline (10) who bounced around a lot of programs before we settled into RS, and Meredith (7) who's been moving at a nice little pace for about a year with RS, never having used any other programs. Meredith's well into her second book, and seems very comfortable. Caroline is still fearful and tentative, and doesn't expect math's logic and beauty. Meredith expects all that, loves discovering the patterns, and expects it to be fun. I wish we'd been with RS all along, and I really hope that gradually, Caroline learns to love math. Things are better, but she's still not friends with it - unless I take out the Corners cards.

Re: Level D lesson six or so...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. It is always great to hear success stories like yours. Thank you for asking the right question and then waiting for your daughter to find out for herself. That was a wonderful demonstration of how we help our children and truly empower them. You will see the difference with your older daughter too, just keep plugging away.
Nancy