Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Abandon Level Band and move on or stay the course???

Dear Cassie,
thanks for the post and your honesty about how you feel about our curriculum. It is a great blessing to many, but it does take work to get through it since you are laying a firm foundation. I think your emphasis on playing games is very wise, especially with her phobia for math starting out. Now however, it might be time to pick up the pace a bit since she is feeling confident. How about doing four lessons a week with one game day, or even five if you feel ambitious. Some Moms homeschool throughout the summer too when the children are not doing regular school work and that can help you catch up.

A word of caution about skipping Level B. Each level builds sequentially on the last and it is very important not to skip lessons or you may end up with gaps that don't show up until too late. I would keep moving forward on Level B, 4-5 lessons a week if you can manage it. Then go through C, which usually takes more than a year by the way.

Our Level B is like a first-third grade standard math curriculum. Our Level C is like 2nd-4th in most other curriculums, so even though she is "behind" she will quickly catch up and more importantly see will really understand place value and the principles of mathematics.

Also, you want to remember that you are teaching your daughter, not just going through curriculum. You need to pace your instruction on her needs, interest and ability.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how things are going.
Nancy

Re: Abandon Level Band and move on or stay the course???

Nancy, Thank you for your reply. I will take your advice and speed up the number of lessons during the week so we can "catch up". As I mentioned, she really loves RS and it's really clicking with her. Today we introduced the math balance and she played the Bead Trading Game. She would not stop until she became a "Grand Champion"! She sat there the whole time with her stack of cards and insisted that she "finish" the game in one sitting all the while saying over and over how much fun she was having. Her enthusiasm and energy was all that I needed to see that this program is indeed the right choice for my dd. So, plow through B we shall and start C right after. I will indeed keep you posted throuh the boards about our progress. The problem though has never been progress because it's been nothing but that. I will increase the amount of days we do RS and will post how we are coming along.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Re: Re: Abandon Level Band and move on or stay the course???

Dear Cassie,
Thanks for sharing. You are making a wise decision that will benefit your daughter for her whole life really.
Nancy