Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re:

Dear Joan,

Thanks for clarifying our question about cm squared.

Also, regarding pi, I think Liam could see the similarity to the problem in Lesson 78.

It helped ME to know that pi is NOT really a variable. He substituted 3 for pi and then I had him show me how to solve it. When he said he still didn't understand why you couldn't do 600(6), I was then able to discuss order of operation as Nancy suggested. I told him that was a Math rule.

But we also looked at it visually. I had him demonstrate 2 x 3 + 4 x 3 with cubes. He could see that 6 cubes + 12 cubes = 18 cubes. Then I had him demonstrate how 6 cubes x 3 cubes also equals 18 cubes. Then I had him demonstrate his thinking: 6 cubes x (6 cubes) which does not work, of course, because he didn't have enough cubes!

I think he finally gets it.

Thanks for your help on this sticking point.
Julia

Thanks, Liam

Re: Re:

Dear Julia,
Thanks so much for that great visual demonstration. I am sure it will help other reader too.
Nancy & Joan