Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: level E lesson 5 or so--subtraction

Dear Marti,
I am sorry it has taken so long to respond to your question. Our customer service person has been temporarily out of service. Hopefully I can help.

First. Terry's math is just a fun way to see subtraction from another perspective. It is used in some European countries with great success. It is good for students to see there is more than one way to do something.

Level E doesn't spend much time with subtraction, C & D do. If your daughter needs extra practice with this then we suggest the Math Card Games. You can go directly to the subtraction section and start with the first lesson. They are sequentially arranged from the easiest concepts to the more difficult ones. Personally I love playing Long & Short Subtraction Chain Solitaire. They help the child to make trades in their heads using mental subtraction. However, if she is not ready for that yet, then start with the lower numbers.

Hope this helps.
Nancy

clarification

I'm sorry I was not clear enough in my original question. My 2 dd remember how to subtract single or double digit numbers; their difficulty was w/ the 4 digit numbers.

I know we've done things w/ side 2 of the abacus, but none of those are in the games book.

Any more ideas? Or maybe just what lesson(s) in C or D to go to for directions on subtracting w/ side 2 of the abacus since we have those books as well?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure about D, but the lesson C sections you'll be looking for are lessons 90-94....hope that helps.

Book D, it looks like it's going to be around Lesson 44. But we're not there yet, so I'm not sure that's right (I don't have the book in front of me, I'm looking at the TofC online).

Re: Re: level E lesson 5 or so--subtraction

Thanks!