Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
how to proceed

Hello,
I have twin girls who were six last year, and since their birthday is August 25th, I treated them like first graders last year...they've now just turned 7. We got through most of level B last year, but it was difficult, much more so for one. For the first week of school this year I've been trying to just do some fun, light review, which has gone well. But now in our review I've attempted some of the things that were difficult last year, and they're still difficult - adding two-digit numbers. Carissa, I see in your advice to others that you really stress playing games, using manipulatives...can you point me to some games and strategies for practicing mentally adding two-digit numbers?

I went to a seminar in the spring and was reminded that mental maturation is important, and that you shouldn't push too hard when it doesn't seem they're understanding. And also that in some homeschool approaches, kids who don't do any formal, written math until later in the elementary grades pick it up very quickly and catch up with ease. So I'm trying not to get too frustrated, but it seems like sometimes they get it, and in some areas they do great, but there's just this block with the mental adding - I tried having them go back and do lvl b worksheet 28 yesterday and they had trouble. I'd love some advice!

Re: how to proceed

Dear Amy,
Carissa is away for a time so I will try to answer your question. First of all you are on the right track to play games and build their skills before proceeding through the lessons. I would recommend you play "Corners" and let them continue their score keeping throughout the week. For instance, on Monday they play and get 65. Then on Tuesday they start with 65 and keep playing by adding more to it. That way they will see what happens to adding numbers beyond 100.

If they are not ready for that yet. Then start with Addition War{A44] and Short chain solitaire [A47]. If you find they are not successful with that perhaps they need to go back through some of the strategies. The addition strategies are listed in the appendix [p145]. I would not have them memorize the strategies, rather I would have them use their abacus and try to help them discover the strategies as you ask leading questions. For instance, if I put 7 on one line and 8 on another line, how can I quickly tell the answer without counting all the beads? You want them to discover that the two fives are the same color and then there are two beads & three beads making a total of 15=2 5s=10 2 3=15.

If this is not clear, it might help to call and speak to a customer service person directly as it is often easier in words than in this mode. 888-272-3291
Thanks.
Nancy