Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fractions...what an intuitive approach!

Hello StoryBookmum,

I too have been amazed at how easy fractions have been for all of my children.

The horror and terror I was put through with fractions and word problems I could not have enough time to go into the porblems I faced. But here with this program not a problem, which attribute to the fact that it is visually laid out in a way that is common sense to the child in a linear format rather then the abstract concept of the pie charts.

As far as her subtraction you should find out which way she thinks of them and focus on that way of doing them, and then do more subtraction games like Subtraction War.

You ask "Which way she thinks of subtraction?"
Yes, some people see subtraction as counting backwards, some see it as the missing addition, some see it as adding. How she sees subtraction using the strategies in the program will help you to tune in to how her brain organizes that concept and you can work on teaching her that way.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Fractions...what an intuitive approach!

I wish I knew how to figure out how she sees things like that. She doesn't communicate well in math. She never knows what's wanting if she's told to "show her work," and she can't explain how she got solutions most of the time. I don't think she adds up to get the difference, though - she can't add up to make change, I've seen that.

I'll work on decoding her and see where we get. She cheats badly at war, just recognising the overall pattern of bigger and smaller numbers and trying to get away without saying the sums or differences.