Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pace of level B for Asperger's ds

Carissa, (or anyone else who can help)

My 7yods has mild high functioning aspergers. After multiple failed attempts with other math programs we are now using RS level B. He knows quite a lot of the front lessons (the first 20 ), but not the RS terminology. He loves math and science. He is bored with one lesson and games a day. How quickly can we move through B without missing the new terminology? He can add double digits without carrying, single digit subtraction, reads on a second grade level on topics of interest to him, recognizes numbers in the thousands without any manipulations. Any advice would be so welcome. I feel like I have brain burnout from trying to figure out what to do with him Thanks and God Bless,

Michelle

Re: pace of level B for Asperger's ds

Hello Michelle,

From what you are writing, I would suggest that you move slightly quicker until he gets to the place values lessons in the 30's.

You can read ahead and get a sense for where the lessons are headed and the ones you think he can do well on, have him do three problems and explain how he got to the answer ( in the way kids explains things), and if he got them right move to the next section and then the next lesson if need be.

There is no need to do concepts he is grasping and can explain how he is doing it. Feel free to move more quickly...yes it does mean more work on your part because you may need to understand three lessons for one math session, and only get 9 problems out of that hard work of preparing. But it is worth it to keep him moving until he is where he should be, while not skipping import foundations, especially place value.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.