Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level A question

Hello Annie,

Level A is not as difficult to teach as it looks. So rest assure. You will find that you are mostly interacting, and playing games with your child setting a good foundation for place value.

Since he is seven you may find that he will be able to do 20-30min of math each session. I would stop after the allotted time and pick up where you left off. I find that mothers who try to do a lesson a day can to too much math and burn them out, so I always recommend a definitive time limit.

I also recommend that you do math consistently, and not take long breaks from teaching math. Sure you can do 3,4,or 5 days a week, just make sure it is consistent.

I have also found that it takes about 3 months before the mother feels comfortable teaching the program, sees the value, and adjusts to the rhythm of the program. This has been my personal experience, along with many other mothers I have spoken with.

So hang in there if ever you are discouraged or not sure how to teach a lesson call our excellent customer service numbers 888-272-3291 and they will gladly encourage and assist you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Level A question.

Thank you! I have taken this week to read through the teacher's guide first, and implementing only the 1st lesson to get a feel for it. Ds(7) seemed to enjoy it very much.....especially when the items we chose were things such as cars, bulldozers, etc. "This is math mommy?! Are you sure?!" I had to giggle at that Of course this is still the 1st lesson and so we'll see

You are correct, it does not seem as daunting as I thought. The lessons do seem to be simple enough to implement. However, I am a little nervous about the Alabacus. Unsure that I, MOM, will 'get it'....if I don't 'get it' he won't either

I will cross that bridge when I come to it. In the meantime, I will take it one day at a time, one lesson at a time and see how it is fitting and working for us.

I will not lie....I am ALOT nervous about this program. There is alot less hand holding for me.....I was never good at math once we passed grade 2. Manipulative dissappeared, and the wonderful teacher that took time with each of us kids dissappeared along with them. It was 'this is what you do, how you do it, hand it in.' That was the beginning of feeling stupid and math phobia for me for years to come I DO NOT want this for our dc. So here I am

Pray for me And pray for your staff who may hear from me with questions and require patience "Oh no, it's her again "

Again thank you for your response. I will give this program a try (and not just a few days ). An honest good few months try so as to ensure that it is NOT mom panicking. I don't mind putting in the time and effort if it means that dc come out of it 'owning' their knowledge and not just 'spitting it out' like a computer that has just been turned on

Many blessings

Re: Re: Level A question.

Hello Anne,

Please rest assure that the majority of homeschool moms are just as math-a-phobic as you. We all had the same improper math education, so your fears are normal, the trick is not to let it become the stumbling block to our children’s education.

So now all you have to do is change your fear in to excitement that you will finally learn math the correct way, after all if you, the adult, can’t do the math, how do we expect our young ones to do the math. (Of course though teaching is different than learning math, and teaching math will be a learning curve, and your first born will get the pleasure of being that curve, but hang in there the program is scripted and you will see the pattern of how to teach it soon enough.) So keep on teaching and playing the games, and you will see it gets easier and easier, in fact, I find that it is about a three month period where we (the teachers) get use to teaching the program and find our rhythm of teaching it.

Yes, I pray all the time for the users of this math program to do well in teaching, and more importantly, learning math. I have found such great success in this program with my children and myself that I can’t help but to let others know there is a way to teach math that works for the long haul. Especially now as my older son is entering algebra I can see how his mind has been trained to think, so he is ready for new and bolder ideas.

Finally, please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com We welcome your calls.

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics