Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Another question......

I was just looking at the Level A instructors manual and see that there are about 28 pages in the back of the book that seem to be the worksheets for Level A. Are these the very same worksheets that are in the separate workbook? Or, does the workbook have different and/or more pages? I'm just wondering if I need to buy the workbook after all. Thank you! Tracy

Re: RS questions....

Hello Tracy,

If I am understanding correctly, you already have Level B and required manipulatives. If this is correct, then all you need for your youngest is Level A Lessons $45, Level A worksheets $5. Optional products are the Appendices A&B $10, and the geo-reflector $5, as you are correct you can use a small mirror, but the geo reflector is much easier for the child to concretely see the lines of symmetry.

You are correct when you say that the DVD was not available last year, but we now have a DVD that gives instructions on how to play12 of the math card games available for $10.

Concerning the worksheets you saw in the back of Level A, I am not sure which version you saw. We used to have the worksheets in Level A Lessons, but now sell them separately, so we no longer have the worksheets in the back of Level A. The worksheets that the lessons require are only found the in worksheet book not in the back of the Lessons book. and yes there are very few worksheets as this is more hands on.

I would like to make a quick comment and let you rest assure we have many, many 13year olds using this program, and many are in Level B. This program is not about a grade or age level. It is about a math skill, developmental level. Our mission statement we stand by is to have children understand, apply and enjoy mathematics. If they do not understand it, they will never enjoy it, or know when to apply it. I would encourage you that even if you do not do this program with your oldest child, that you at least strive to play the games 2-4 a week with him. If he is still trying to count on his fingers, do games found under numeration and the addition section for the games where the objective is to make 10, like, Go to the Dump, Old Main, and Addition Memory. Call our customer service reps at 888-272-3291 for more game ideas that would suit his needs.

Finally, I would like to supply you with some tips on teaching this program.
I have three kids that I teach this program to.
I have learned three main points:

1) Keep your time limited in each session, I recommend 15-30min per child per day,depending on the age (for your 4yo, 15min should be enough time). I stop once we hit that time. I find it is usually their limit of concentration after that time they don’t hear what you say, and you are only adding frustration. I also find that because I keep to that time limit that I can be consistent, and they are not fearful to do math, because they know that there is an end to the lesson in 30min. Those who leave math an open time limit, may create a fear of math in their children.

2) Be consistent. Don’t do math every now and then. Do it regularly. I personally have found that if I do school 15 days out of each of the 12 months it works for our family. It totals 180 school days and yet keeps us consistent in our schooling. We don’t get burnt out of school, because we always have at least one week off each month; and we don’t get out of the habit of school, because we are always poised to start again, it is a part of our whole lives. School is not consigned to some months and not others, it is part of life.

3) Play the games, I mean PLAY THE GAMES! :) I cannot over emphasize the importance of the games. Even on days when you are not told to play the games fit it into your school day.

Most kids who learn math only understand the theory of math, but can not apply it in real life. I liken it to learning how to drive. You get a booklet from the state and you memorize it then you take a test. Let’s say you get 100% on the test did it make you a good driver? No, it just means you memorized the “theory” of driving. In order to become a good driver, you have to get in the car and “apply” the theory. Only with practice of driving do you start to internalize the driving rules and become a better driver. The same is true with math. The books and worksheets provide the “theory” of math, while our Math Card Games provides the “application” of math. As they use both they understand math as a whole. This will help them in the long run in higher mathematics and everyday math. So make sure she can do both and she will do just fine in the higher math.

Also, the games help store the information into the correct places in the brain for better retrieval. Whereas rote memorization stores the information in the short-term part of the brain--where the information has no context of other information (like a telephone number, we dial in the numbers but they don’t mean anything mathematically). The math learned in the games gets stored in the strategy/logic part of the brain because there was context and meaning to the numbers-they have to perform certain calculations to win the game. Plus, it is done in a friendly environment where the time spent will be remembered as good time learning math, thus will be more likely to produce good feeling towards math—even if it is not their favorite subject, it will not be their hated subject.

I hope that this is helpful, but if ever you have more please email me at carissa@alabacus.com and will do my best to answer them. Or you can call 888-272-3291 and our excellent customer service ladies will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Thank you Carissa.....(more)

I really appreciate the information. I really like your illustration of driving....especially since my oldest just got her permit.

I might not have been very clear in my original post. I actually have the Lesson books and Worksheet books for levels B, C and D. I have just the Lesson book for Level A. It's copyright is 2001. After the appendices there is a Game Log and then pages called Worksheet 1 Writing Tally Marks, Worksheet 2 Combining Tally Sticks, all the way through Worksheet 28 Finding Equal Lengths, and then ends with the lyrics to Yellow is the Sun and Writing Numbers. So, I'm thinking that these would be the very same worksheets in the new individual worksheet book. So, I wouldn't have to even buy the worksheets. But, I wanted to make sure that these are the same worksheets...or are they different or does the worksheet book have more worksheets than just 28 (does that make sense??)?

I have all the manipulatives except for the geometric solids, geometry reflector, base 10 picture cards, and fraction puzzle (I have one vinyl and 2 plastic fraction charts though), the game cards, the Math Card Game book, the Transition book, Al Abacus (2 of them). So, I'm happy that I'm pretty well all set from Level A through Level D.

I will definitely rethink using this with my 13 year old. Maybe I'll give it another try with him. I appreciate all of your suggestions. If you don't mind taking the time, maybe you could let me know if you think I am all set with the Level A Lesson book I have, which appears to have 28 worksheets in the back. I'm thinking I don't have to buy the workbook (worksheets) for Level A since I must already have them. Is this correct?

Thank you!
Tracy

Re: Thank you Carissa.....(more)

Hello Tracy,

It sounds like you have the correct Level A that has the worksheets in the back of the Lessons. So you do not need to get more worksheets for Level A, for this child.

You can go without the Geometric Solids, the base-ten cards should have come with the Level B, since you won't need it will Level A. You really don't need the fraction puzzle (though it is the greatest tool for anyone learning about fractions, it is much better then the vinyl). The Geo reflector is a personal choice at this point, it is nice to have but if you already have a small mirror that will work too. And the Appendices A&B is another personal choice as it is more of a convenience item, but most moms find it is worth getting to save themselves time.

You absolutely need an abacus, and the six decks of math cards, plus I recommend the Math Card Games Book for your older children.

Remember take your time, be consistent, play the games, and please call our 888-272-3291 if you need encouragement or guidance.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics