Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Hi Annie,

RS is not only for struggling students; it's also for mathy students.

I cannot make the decision for you, of course, but here's a thought. Doing RS all the way would make your math more streamlined than if you added it to MUS. I am a major tweaker myself, and find that whenever I add this and that to my main curriculum, things not only get more complicated I also end up not using the additional resources to their fullest potential.

That's just me, though. Your mileage may vary.

In your case, you're already doing RS with your daughter so switching your son sounds like a natural progression.

If you want to give it a try, ordering just the games would work, too.

I always pray about my curriculum choices, and God has been faithful to lead me to the right choices for our family.

Linda

Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Hi Linda You make some valid points. Makes me think some more And you are right, it is NOT just for strugglers but Mathy's too Dd is not using RS though, she's using MUS....I just KNOW though that she would love doing the RS activities It's just when I saw RS online after reading an article, it got me thinking that ds may actually be happier here. He does not complain at all about MUS.....its just from my personal observation of him. He soooo loves to break things down and analyse EVERYTHING And in seeing RS I thought, "hmmmmmm, he may actually enjoy learning math this way." Well, you know what it's like....wanting the very best for your child(ren).

It's just I'm not sure where to start him if that is the route we go, and then what do I do if dd(9) decides she likes it better?

I know, now I'm rambling, but it is 5am

I'll keep this decision in prayer as He is faithful to direct.

Thank you Linda for taking the time to help me vent my thoughts (as scattered as they are right now ).....it helps to have someone elses perspective on things. And it helps to have a perspective from someone with experience Thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Hello Annie,

I really appreciate Linda's perspective and advice, and just wanted to add my thoughts too.

First, you can add the Game Kit and the other manipulatives to help supplement MUS. Many parents do that.

Second, it is possible to teach two math programs to two different students. Some parents do that.

But my third comment is to let you know a little about us. But first, I want to let you know that I had used MUS with my oldest, and switched to this program and am glad I did, because he is “Mathy” and needed this challenge.

Here I have listed a summary of the major points of RightStart:

First, we have Math Card Games. The card games are as important as the textbooks themselves. I liken it to learning how to drive. When you first learn how to drive, you get a booklet from your state that tells you the rules of driving…this is called the “theory” of driving. Let’s say you get 100% on your written part of your driving test. Does that make you a good driver? Of course not. It means you are good at the “theory” of driving. To become good at driving you have to actually get in the car and “practice” the actual skill of driving…this is the “application” of driving. After applying your skill for awhile, you will start to internalize it until it is automatic.

It is the same way with the games. The books are the “theory” part of math and all math programs have that. But not all programs have an “application” part of math. This is the function of the card games. It gives the child an outlet to “apply” the new skill. After awhile, it will become so automatic they will be able to use math even when there is no paper and pencil around.

We, also, have many manipulatives to provide a whole experience in understand major concepts in mathematics. Manipulatives help bring out abstract ideas in concrete form.

In addition, we have the most important manipulative which is the ALabacus. The child can learn how numbers look without counting. They can visualize them, unfortunately rods, or blocks, are not visualizable past 5. The abacus also focuses on grouping by five’s and ten’s which is very important in mental math. In addition, it helps the child to understand the function and role of place value.

Also, RS is very teacher directive. The teacher is very involved. As a result, there is discussion and a transfer of thoughts and ideas, thus creating an excellent learning environment for critical thinking which will be invaluable in the higher math skills, not to mention in life in general.

Finally, RS boasts that by the end of the program (k-6) you will be on level, if not above level, of the national standards. I, personally, find children being above the national math standards to be the norm.

I have tried to summarize the highlights our programs major points. As you are looking into which math program you want you use it may get confusing and at times overwhelming. As a homeschooling mother myself, I had reviewed 22 math programs and purchased three of them before I found this one. I can not say enough on how this program has helped me personally get better at math, and how wonderful my kids are at math. My two older boys were able to be the bankers in Monopoly by age 7, and with no help from me! It was amazing and their grandma was so impressed. Now the third one is on her way, too!

Back to my point, it can be overwhelming in choosing a program, so here are the things I suggest a mother to do.

First, go to our website and click on the “homeschool” picture, then click on the “resources” on the yellow bar, then click on “presentations”. There you will see “handouts” and “power point presentations.” If you look through them there will be plenty of research as to how children learn math and why this program teaches math the way that it does.

Second, I always start by looking at the philosophy of a program and if it doesn’t match my goal for my child then I move on. Some programs believe in 95% memorization and 5% learned is how young children need to do math. Learning is NOT the goal. Passing the math test is the goal. (RS believes 95% is to be understood, and 5% memorized)

Third, once they state the same goal as you, how does it play out in practice? For instance, some math programs follow my philosophy, but I have found that they don’t practice it in their program.

I hope this helps...Wow, this is long!...And you thought your posting was long...

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Thank you very much for your response. It is very helpful. I did go ahead and purchase Level A for ds(7). We have up until this point only done 'living math' and some of the Primer MUS book last year. He is very much a 'thinker/analyzer/how does this work/take it apart to find out' kind of kid....so when I read about RS I thought "Hmmmmm, this just might be for him."

However, the more I read the more I thought dd(9) would love this too. I use Miquon with her when she was 6 & 7yo (orange/red books mostly). And her favorite part was the exploration of numbers and their combinations, etc. It excited her to see all the different ways, then she see numbers everywhere "mommy did you know that their are 16 leaves on this plant?!"

I lost confidence in myself to go further with Miquon b/c I did not understand some of their explanations for teaching. And I am, should say WAS, very Math-Phobic. That lead me to MUS that included a DVD

Dd at the time became uncomfortable with the 'change'...."why do we need to change mommy, I like Miquon Math" etc. She loves math, is not intimidated by math. She is however, reluctant to change I believe. I know that she would thrive with RS.

So my question is, if I have her just follow along and see what ds and I are doing....participating in the activities etc. then she may not feel so much anticipation.

I'm hoping it may lead to a natural transition. I don't know. I do not want her to think there is something wrong with MUS...there isn't. She LOVES MUS.

I would love and appreciate any thoughts and advice you may have about this. I did not know prior to your email that you have also had experience with both programs. This is very helpful and encouraging to me.

Thank you again.... and this post has become lengthy again Sorry

Blessings

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Hello Annie,

I think your idea about having her see the younger one do it and having her do some of the games with you is a great idea.

The only advice I have is to continually keep an eye on her to see if she is able to use the math concepts she learns in the program in real life situations. To often I find that the parents thought the child was doing well because they always did well on the worksheets and passed the tests, but that is not enough since most children are pattern seekers anyway, doing homework and tests mostly becomes about the pattern of the tests. So is what you want to look for now that she passes the tests, does she easily apply it in real life? Can she be the banker in Monopoly with no help? Can she add multiple digits in her head. Can subtract multiple digits without paper? When she is at the store can she figure out the individual price on a product that is for sell as 5 for $10, or 3 for $2.

Things like this you want to be aware of. If she is applying her math skills and enjoys MUS then I would only suggest that she does the math games with you.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Thank you Carissa!

Your comments made much sense. Especially your comment about 'thinking that one is doing well b/c they are getting all the worksheet questions correct, etc.' That was an eye opener for me as I could see how one could easily fall into that mindframe. I WILL keep on the look-out for living application of concepts learned and play games

So far we are only on Lesson 5 with ds(7), but so far it has only been a positive experience. With ds(7) looking forward to math and dd(9) asking me to not forget when we are doing math so she can come too

I will take your advice Carissa and just let her join in for now and play math games with her

If you don't mind I'd like to ask you one last question......how often do I play the games with her? Daily?

Thank you for your time Carissa. It is very much appreciated and very, very helpful

Now for some much needed coffee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Hello Annie,

If I have a vote, I would try for 2-4 times a week.

For instance you can do games Mon, Wed and Fri for 10 to 20 min each session. At first will will need to be there for the games, but as your son learns them you can have them do the games together and you can sneak off and sort the laundry

You can either make your whole math time, 20 min MUS, 10 min RS games.
OR
You can do your 30 min of MUS then arrange another time of 10-20min of math later on.

It is flexible, do what fits your schedule best, but aim for a min of 2 times per week, though you will get better results the more you play games.

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Please help...has anyone switched from MUS to RS?

Thank you soooo much. This was VERY helpful.

Your 2 examples of how it could play out were of particular help. THANKS

Blessings,
Annie