Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Algebra

We're almost finished Right Start C here with my older daughter, and we've been playing with some algebra verbal problems. I think we could have some good fun taking some time out for algebra, and wondered if anyone here had seen Hands-On Equations?

http://www.borenson.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=39

I don't think Dr. Cotter is anywhere near ready to release the Right Start Algebra, right? So we'll have to look somewhere....this program looks like a friendly and sensible approach, and I was hoping someone would have a review they could share.

Re: Algebra

Hello,

I went to the web address you gave. It reminds me a lot of our math balance.

If you have it you can do many algebra problem using the math balance. In fact, when my eldest son was in Level E, I use to give him algebraic problems for him to solve and for him to write down on Fridays using the math balance.

Dr. Cotter is creating the next and final level in our program, at this time called the Algebraic Approach. It will not be algebra per se, but closer to pre-algebra, it will be math using algebraic concepts. We encourage our math program users, after completing our program, to use VideoText which is high school math--algebra I & II, geometry, and so forth.

I do not have a review for the product you were asking about, but I always like games that teach math concepts truthfully and in a fun, challenging way. If this does that, I would not see why you couldn’t use it as a game in part of your school or family time.

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: Algebra

Carissa, I'm really excited to hear this!
What kind of time frame can we expect to have this new program completed?

Re: Re: Algebra

Pre-algebra is what I'm more interested, because the girls are young. I'm thinking about what you said, using our own math balance - and yes, we have one.

I'll have to play with that, and see how it would work. My first response was, but wouldn't that mean a lot of guesswork, to make the balance level?

Let's see...we'd work OFF the balance, to start, right?

So 3X + 6 = 2X + 10

OFF the balance, we could stack up three blue weights on one side, and two on the other, and immediately eliminate 2 from each side. We could hang the six and the ten up...and then subtract six from each side...so nothing hanging on one side, and four hanging on the other, and time to put up the mystery tile....yes, that would work.

(I have to walk through these things, forgive me!)

I'm intrigued!

Negative numbers??? Hmmmm.....

Hello Storybookmum,

I am glad you are excited, but we don't have a time frame as to when it will be available. All I know is that it is in the infancy stage. And we are all looking forward to seeing waht it will look like :)

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com

Hello Amy,

Negative Numbers can be done too. Someone was showing me how but I can't recall.

Just keep playing with it and writing down what you are balancing and see the cool equations you come up with.

Sometimes I would do something like 21 on the left side, (2x10)+1= and then tell him using three blue weights how would he solve it? then how do you solve it using 4 weights? 5 weights? I would do things like that and have him write down his answers. It has been a great tool.

Keep exploring I am sure you will do well.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Carissa

www.RightStartMath.com