Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C to D?

I did Level C with my daughter last year for 2nd grade. She did fine. What are the benefits to using Level D and not switching to another program like Saxon at this point? Thanks!

Re: C to D?

Hello Julie,

Level D is much easier to teach than Level C, and is a great pace in learning your foundations of math. and Level e was filled with so many, "Oh, that's how math works," moments.

The program Level B-E is a complete prgram. If you continue with Level D, and than to Level E you will continue to see math competence and understanding that most programs will not have.

To be sure they will pass their math tests, in other programs, but doing real life math, will be a challenge to them.

Finally, I would like to supply you with some tips on teaching this program.

I have three kids that I teach this program to.

I have learned three main points:

1) Keep your time limited in each session, I recommend 30min per child per day (less for children 6 and younger). I stop once we hit that time. I find it is usually their limit of concentration after that time they don’t hear what you say, and you are only adding frustration. I also find that because I keep to that time limit that I can be consistent, and they are not fearful to do math, because they know that there is an end to the lesson in 30min. Those who leave math an open time limit, create a fear of math in their children.

2) Be consistent. Don’t do math every now and then. Do it regularly. I personally have found that if I do school 15 days out of each of the 12 months it works for our family. It totals 180 school days and yet keeps us consistent in our schooling. We don’t get burnt out of school, because we always have at least one week off each month; and we don’t get out of the habit of school, because we are always poised to start again, it is a part of our whole lives. School is not consigned to some months and not others, it is part of life.

3) Play the games, I mean PLAY THE GAMES! :) I can not over emphasize the importance of the games. Even on days when you are not told to play the games fit it into your school day.

Most kids who learn math only understand the theory of math, but can not apply it in real life. I liken it to learning how to drive. You get a booklet from the state and you memorize it then you take a test. Let’s say you get 100% on the test did it make you a good driver? No, it just means you memorized the “theory” of driving. In order to become a good driver, you have to get in the car and “apply” the theory. Only with practice of driving do you start to internalize the driving rules and become a better driver. The same is true with math. The books and worksheets provide the “theory” of math, while our Math Card Games provides the “application” of math. As they use both they understand math as a whole. This will help them in the long run in higher mathematics and everyday math. So make sure she can do both and she will do just fine in the higher math.

Also, the games help store the information into the correct places in the brain for better retrieval. Whereas rote memorization stores the information in the short-term part of the brain--where the information has no context of other information (like a telephone number, we dial in the numbers but they don’t mean anything mathematically). The math learned in the games gets stored in the strategy/logic part of the brain because there was context and meaning to the numbers-they have to perform certain calculations to win the game. Plus, it is done in a friendly environment where the time spent will be remembered as good time learning math, thus will be more likely to produce good feeling towards math—even if it is not their favorite subject, it will not be their hated subject.

I hope that this is helpful, but if ever you have more please email me at carissa@alabacus.com and will do my best to answer them. Or you can call 888-272-3291 and our excellent customer service ladies will be happy to assist you, or call on Wed and I will be happy to speak with you!

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa

RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291

To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)

www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: C to D?

Carissa,
Thank you so much. I probably will continue with Right Start. Even though the cost is more, I feel like I am giving my kids a really solid and positive foundation. You're right, my kids love the games! Thanks for the encouragement; it means so much.
Julie