Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level B, Lesson 49 bead trading

First, we love RS Math! I'm doing math more efficiently in my head since I've begun teaching my son. However, we've hit a snag and need advice. My 8yo son is having a hard time moving from side 1 of the abacus to side 2. He just isn't getting the concept that the beads on side 2 are no longer ones, but now mean 10/100/1000. He gets the concept of trading when I use the Base10 cards but the abacus loses him. Any suggestions?

Sidenote: He does have receptive and expressive language delays, so though he's 8, his understanding is at a 6-1/2 yo level, but I'm thinking it isn't so much of a factor since he does understand trading with the Base 10 cards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Level B, Lesson 49 bead trading

Hello Sharon,

First of all, it is normal for all children to hit snags in learning math concepts.
It is even common for them to get “snagged” on this particular concept. So I would not worry as I find this concept can take days or as with one of my children it took 6 weeks to be able to understand it competently.

I recommend that you take your time. Don’t rush, play games after a hard lesson, so not to leave him feeling that he is failing. Also, if he is doing well with the Base-10 cards keep doing that along with the abacus, it may mean it takes longer for a problem to get done, so don’t do as many in one day.

Remember the goal is not to get right answers and move along. The goal is to understand what he is doing so he can get correct answers with or without your present. If he can master a few problems at a time, that is better than many problems and not understanding what he is doing.

Also, make sure you are limiting his time in math each day. I recommend 30 of math each day, stop where you are and pick up where you left off next time. It will seem slower at first, but as time progresses you will find it works great in the long run.

Finally, make sure you are utilizing the games, and the manipulatives, and take your time. He will understand it with time and practice, and from what you wrote in your letter, he sounds like he is normal not transitioning at first. As you stay on this and his understanding breaks through he will move quicker, until then take your time on this. It is common for place value, and learning side 2, to take longer than what the book says it will take.

Please feel free to email or call 888-272-3291 if you have more questions.

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math!
Carissa
Customer Service Rep
Carissa@ALabacus.com
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

Re: Re: Level B, Lesson 49 bead trading

Thanks for your response Carissa. That helps!

Re: Re: Level B, Lesson 49 bead trading

To help my daughter with the transition from the base 10 cards to side 2 of the abacus, I put the corresponding card at the top of each column so she could easily relate the bead in that column to the base 10 card. I knew she would struggle if I didn't help her see the connection. After a couple days working on side 2, she no longer needed the cards at the top. Once in a while, if she became confused, or if we had not worked with side 2 for a little while, I would get the base 10 cards out again and remind her. I was actually surprised this was not written into the lesson manual, since it is generally so thorough and does an excellent job linking everything the child is learning to previous knowledge.

I think this is a great idea!

Remember, a good program and a good teacher makes a perfect curriculum. Keep up the good ideas.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. You can email me directly at Carissa@alabacus.com .

Thank you for giving your child a RightStart in Math,

Carissa
RightStart™ Mathematics by Activities for Learning, Inc.

For program questions: 888.272.3291
To place an order: 888.RS.5.MATH (888.775.6284)
www.RightStartMath.com

Our Mission: To help children understand, apply, and enjoy mathematics

We do the same thing, Lynn, and found that it helped us a lot!