Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I switch to RightStart?

I would really appreciate your help! I have a 7 yo dd who is extremely advanced in Language Arts. She is reading on a 12 yo level, and has an amazing memory. She also writes and spells very well for her age.

In math--she is average. She doesn't seem to "get" math. She knows her addition facts to 18 well now but had to learn them with "picture" flash-cards because when she would look at the number symbols on the regular flash cards - it was as though she drew a complete blank. We are now learning subtraction facts--and again--with the picture cards she's doing fine--but has a lot of trouble when she goes to computing on paper.

I had thought of starting Singapore next year--but after reading the Rightstart website, and looking at some of the sample lessons I would like some input as to whether or not Rightstart might be a better fit. Math has been a very frustrating part of our school. Part of the problem is me--I did not do well in math--and don't enjoy it! I want her to enjoy it--but it doesn't seem to be her strong point either. I also think--part of the problem is that she does so well in LA--and I can't figure out why math seems so difficult. I also have a ds--who is 5 and will be in K. I have not decided what program to use with him next year. He seems to be more inclined toward math and catches on quickly.

I have bought so many math programs Math-U-See, Singapore, Horizon, and nothing seems to be a good fit for us. I hate to spend a lot of $$ on another program but am willing if I could be convinced it would be a better fit. Can you help me??

Thanks so much!

Irmi Gaut

Re: Should I switch to RightStart?

Hello Irmi,

Just from what you have written it sounds like she may do well in our program. She is a visual learner and our program teaches in a visual, audio, and kinesthetic way, so no matter your learning style you will learn math. She would place either in Level B or C.
Your son sounds like he could do Level A.

I can sympathize with what you are going through. I spent 2 ½ years looking for a math program for my kids. I researched 22 math programs and bought many math curriculums, too. Then one day I was at a conference and saw this program. I was intrigued but because I didn’t understand math, I didn’t fully understand what I was looking at.

Let me clarify, in school I received A’s and B’s in my higher math. I liked math. I assumed I was good at math. Until one day I was playing a simple dice game with some other adults and I noticed I had to count each number, and they didn’t. Then later I signed up for a cooking class and before starting the class you were required to take an algebra test because there is a lot of algebra in cooking. I thought, “This will be easy.” ---I failed!
“What ‘s going on?” I thought, “I thought I was good at math?”
And that is when it hit me, I am not good at math. I am good at memorizing my math rules! Outside of my formulaic rules, I don’t know what I am doing.

So I started asking those who are good at math, “How do you solve this problem?” and I would give a math problem to solve. And I started to see a pattern. Those who were good at math grouped by fives and tens, and started at the higher place values, they knew how to manipulate the numbers around-they did not follow formulas, they critically solved the math problems.

So when I saw this program I knew it was on the same track as I had been following, but it was so much more. As time moved on, I have seen the benefits to me personally, and to my kids who are so impressive when it comes to math.

Of course there are times my children need to camp out on a concept for awhile, and it is very teacher directed, and requires more time for the parent and is filled with much information (which is why I advice no more than 30min each school day for a child 6yo and older). But those things can be worked out as the benefits are worth the effort.

So, I can truly appreciate where you are.

As far as you not liking math, I would encourage you to make sure that your children see that you may struggle with it, but you will not be defeated by it. Because you are their mentor of the love of learning, and if you hate to learn, they will follow that path. If they see you rise to the challenge, they too will rise, and you will see the love of learning deeply imbedded in them. So keep up the good work, as homeschooling is a special role that produces only what we put into it.

I would go to the placement test at
http://www.alabacus.com/questions/
and see where she places. I usually ask if they can do double digits in their head, along with the questions on the questionnaire. If they can not do those things I find Level B is a good place to start—no matter the age.

Meanwhile, I have listed a summary of the major points of RightStart:

First, we have Math Card Games. The card games are as important as the textbooks themselves. I liken it to learning how to drive. When you first learn how to drive, you get a booklet from your state that tells you the rules of driving…this is called the “theory” of driving. Let’s say you get 100% on your written part of your driving test. Does that make you a good driver? Of course not. It means you are good at the “theory” of driving. To become good at driving you have to actually get in the car and “practice” the actual skill of driving…this is the “application” of driving. After applying your skill for awhile, you will start to internalize it until it is automatic.

It is the same way with the games. The books are the “theory” part of math and all math programs have that. But not all programs have an “application” part of math. This is the function of the card games. It gives the child an outlet to “apply” the new skill. After awhile, it will become so automatic they will be able to use math even when there is no paper and pencil around.

We, also, have many manipulatives to provide a whole experience in understand major concepts in mathematics. Manipulatives help bring out abstract ideas in concrete form.

In addition, we have the most important manipulative which is the ALabacus. The child can learn how numbers look without counting. They can visualize them. It focuses on grouping by five’s and ten’s which is very important in mental math. In addition, it helps the child to understand the function and role of place value.

Also, RS is very teacher directive. The teacher is very involved. As a result, there is discussion and a transfer of thoughts and ideas, thus creating an excellent learning environment for critical thinking which will be invaluable in the higher math skills, not to mention in life in general.

Finally, RS boasts that by the end of the program (k-6) you will be on level, if not above level, of the national standards.
I have tried to summarize the highlights our programs major points. As you are looking into each math program it may get confusing and at times overwhelming, so here are the things I a mother can do.

First, go to our website and click on the “homeschool” picture, then click on the “resources” on the yellow bar, then click on “presentations”. There you will see “handouts” and “power point presentations.” If you look through them there will be plenty of research as to how children learn math and why this program teaches math the way that it does.

Second, start by looking at the philosophy of a program and if it doesn’t match your goal for your child then you can move on. Some programs believe in 95% memorization and 5% learned is how young children need to do math. Learning is NOT the goal. Passing the math test is the goal. (RS believes 95% is to be understood, and 5% memorized)

Third, once they state the same goal as you, how does it play out in practice? For instance, some math programs state one philosophy, but that they don’t practice it in their program.

Here is a good tip.
If a program starts its Kindergarten or first graders by teaching addition and subtraction with pictures beware! Children can’t do subtraction with pictures without introducing math falsehoods.
Another good tip. If the program has no outlet for them to use their math skills except on worksheets and flashcards, then they are valuing the test not the child. Children need to apply the skill for it to become internalized; just as a young cook needs to practice cooking by cooking, not by reading more cookbooks :)

I hope I have answered your questions. If not feel free to call our 888-272-3291 toll free number. We have customer service representatives who know the program and can answer your questions.

I know this is long, but I wanted to make sure I conveyed this information to you.

Thank you for reading :)
Carissa
Customer Service Rep