Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
multiple children/levels

I have one child that is finishing Saxon 1st grade although she is 7 (almost 8). I find that she still has not fully gotten the concept of, say, 10 being less than 15 and 15 being more than 12. It is not automatic for her. She sometimes has to look at the number line to make it understandable to her (very visual). Then I have two 5 year olds which are picking up on many of the concepts that she is working on. I would like to use this program next year but am trying desperately not to have to do two separate levels. How difficult is that? I know there would be some overlap with the games etc. Do you just teach the different levels and then play some of the same games?
I thought the level c might be too hard for her so I would make level B a fun, easy time for her. Then I thought that maybe the 5 1/2 yr olds could start on level B. She LOVES to do "preschool" with them so I thought if level B is pretty easy for her (except on a few concepts she struggles with) she could help me "teach' the little ones the concepts and it would reinforce her learning. I know I can test her for placement. Can you do this with the little guys? I would really hate to to level A and B (I think-I'm afraid it's a waste of money to have them so close together.) I could do level A for the little guys and level C (if she tests into it) for my 2nd grader. I guess I would like your opinion on whether my idea of them all being on level B might work (we could do extra games for the little guys.)
Thanks for the advice.
Amy Marcum

Re: multiple children/levels

Hello Amy,

This is a great question and there are different solutions.

First, of all I recommend that you teach them separately if you want to see the full benefit of this program.
From what you have written is sounds like she should be in Level B. And the twins can do either Level A or Level B but not with her, as they will progress differently.

I say the twins can do Level B, let me clarify, it is recommended that 5yo do Level A, but is has been done that they can do Level B IF and only IF the parent understands that they have to go slower and take longer on each lesson in Level B. It would take a 7yo to do almost a whole lesson in 30min, where it would take a 5yo about three to five days to complete it and move on. This means the mother would have to fill-in the blanks and come up with more problems for them to solve until the skill was mastered. So if the mother understands the Level B will take about a year and half or more to complete and that the mother is filling in math problems, and has to go much slower then it is possible to do Level B with five year olds. If a mother can not do that I strongly advice to stick with Level A and do 15 min of math per day and then stop and pick up where you left off. The progress will be more noticeable.

As far as teaching multiple children it is done in this program often. I find that teaching math and spelling are the subjects that require individual attention and needs to be taught for each child according to their skill level. Most other subjects can be adapted for multi-leveled children.
I recommend that you limit your time with each child--no more than 30min per child.
With the two five year old it is possible to teach them together but be prepared that they may need to be taught separately so they can learn at their own pace.
Remember math is a language, and as with all languages, the best way to learn is by someone directly instructing them. And the same is true in math. That is why this program does so well--1on1 instruction, Math Card Games, manipulatives, teaches to different learning styles, and teaches critical thinking.

I understand that wanting to have them all on the same level would seem ideal, but truth be told that is why public school does so poorly, and we most choose to homeschool. Public schools try to keep the children all on the same level for the ease of teaching, but it is to the determent of the children who need to go faster and the ones who need to go slower.

So I would encourage you that there are ways work with multiple levels.

1) Limit the time.
2) Alternate math days for children
3) Have the older help the younger
4) Limit the amount of math days (4 days math a week)
5) Limit the amount of other subjects (ie history & geography can be accomplished in your read aloud time)
6) Have dad do younger ones and you do older child or vice versa.

As you can see there are many solutions. I personally have three that I teach which adds up to 1 ½ hours of math a day! But we do 15 days of math each month all year long, which adds up to 180 days of math but it gives us a week each month off from doing math. Plus, every Friday is Math Games where each child does 30 min of math card games.

And yes you can teach different levels and then have them all play the games together. And the games are true and legitimate math. They are doing the same amount of math they would be doing in a math program on a worksheet, but here is it done in a friendly environment. Moreover, it is using the strategy part of the brain, which is the part you want the information stored in; not in the rote part of the brain, which is where worksheet math is stored.

I hope I have answered your questions, please email me or call our 888-272-3291 customer service number and we will be happy to go over this in more detail. I answer on Wed if you would like to speak with me.

Thank you so much for writing.
Carissa
Customer Service Rep