Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help we need a good Math program!!

Hello Brenda,

If you are starting our program, and with the information given, yes, they should start with Level B.

Level B will teach number quantity (not the same as count), place value, how numbers are partitioned, simple adding, addition strategies, double digit addition, four digit addition, and time, money, simple fractions, some geometry, and critical thinking skills.
Level B is a solid foundation in which to start mathematics, especially for young child, those with special learning needs, or those who are highly gifted in mathematics. It serves so many different students because it is a visual-audio-kinesthetic program that hits all learning styles. It has manipulatives for concrete understanding of abstract ideas. The lessons are taught in a progressive order that makes mathematical sense. And most of all it has the Math Card Games, that gives the children a chance to apply the math skills given. Instead of worksheet after worksheet, they have exposure to the same type of math problems but in a friendly, interactive, and meaningful environment-which makes it a superior learning tool.

If you get Level B, let me encourage you to keep you time limited to 30min per child, per day. Do not try to do a whole lesson a day if it goes over the 30min., stop the lesson, and pick up where you left off. Make sure you take time on the child’s understanding of concepts. In other words, if the child needs more time on a concept and the book does say so, stay there anyway, or move on with daily review of the concept in question. Also, Play the games, play the games, play the games, in other words, play the games even when the book does not say to, you should be playing the games 24 time a week.

I like in this program that is sets the child up for higher mathematics from the start. It teaches thinking skills. My children can actually tell me WHY, and HOW they solve math problems. My children can count back change faster then grocery clerks. I can rely on their math skills compared to my poor skills, even though I have vastly improved using this program. (To clarify, I had math knowledge and had A’s in algebra, but I had no math SKILLS, I didn’t know how to apply it in real life, my kids can). It works with all of my children who all learn differently, and some are bright and some are…regular :)
I like that it is scripted for the parent, I like that the games are used instead of focusing on rote non-thinking worksheets (which produce no math skills, just good math grades).

What I did not like about it, well, that is hard to say seeing what bothers me in the program is so insignificant and is particular to me only, it is not a problem with the program in general.

There are some things others don’t like about the program.
-Being teacher led, some parents don’t like having to be so involved with each lesson, but this program is a more like being a mentor than a teacher. It is too important to teach the language of math and not be there next to the child to see where their thinking is going.
-Not enough practice worksheets, our practice in math skills is found in the games, which is actually a better way to train the child’s strategy and logic part of the brain.

Once you have the program, if ever you have questions on a lesson, a concept, or a game to play, call our 888-272-3291 number or email us and we will be happy to help. We have used this program with our own children and have found it to be an excellent program and enjoy helping other mothers.

Thank you,
Carissa
Customer Service Rep

Re: Help we need a good Math program!!

Thanks Carissa - these "games" you are referencing to are the "Card Games" correct? Is this something that is NOT included in the Level B Kit? Thanks, Dayna

Re: Re: Help we need a good Math program!!

Hello Dayna,

The games in Level B will come in the starter kit and the instructions will be in the appendix of the Level B Lessons book (the teacher's manual).

But we do have a Math Card Games Book for $25 that has some games that are not taught in Level B, that I find were fun and helpful to my children. But the game book is not required only recommended.

You will still have many games to play that are found in Level B. My point was that you have to play them more than the book tells you to.

Let me know if you have more questions.
Carissa
Customer Service Rep