Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Summer math

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on options for summer math with my two children (13 & 10.5 yrs). I don't want them to do regular math lessons over the summer but also don't want to do nothing. They are both in Saxon 8/7 and doing well. After looking at the products here, I was thinking it might be nice to buy the math games set for summer just to keep them from getting rusty.

Another thought was to do a combination of the math games set and the geometry lessons. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Becky

Re: Summer math

Hello Becky,

I think the Math Card Games Kit sounds perfect.
Doing the games 3-5 times a week in areas they are weak in will really bring their skills up. It will give them time to master concepts they have learned but needed time to develop mastery and mature in them.

It is too often we teach our children new concepts only to rush them off to another concept the second they grasped the concept.

Children need time to have a sense of mastery, a sense that they know and understand the things that have been taught to them. The games will give them time for that.

With that stated, I will tell you that the Geometric Approach is an exciting book full of math concepts that are done in a meaningful and useful way.

If your sons don't need review and mastery is established and they want a challenge, not rote math. Then this would be a great product.

I find that children who like math to have meaning and context, plus who like engineering in some form, really enjoy this program. But it is challenging. This is not a summer program for "fun" this would be for the analytical, engineer thinker, if this is for a summer diversion.

When used as a regular math program, it is a quality program that breeds high critical thinking skills, and is suitable for students who do not wish to be in a rote program. But the book takes more than a school year to complete. But well worth the time.

I have given you a description of how the two would be for summer use. I will leave the choice for you as you know the needs of your children. If you have further questions just email me and will be glad to help you further.

Thank you,
Carissa
Customer Service Rep