Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: skipping level D

I want to skip because:
1) DD is getting bored with the last 20 lessons of C because she know these things already. We do the review and IF she had missed something we would have gone back back to the corresponding lesson.
2) looking at the checklist and table of contents pdf file for D, DH & I believe she knows at least 90% of this information.
3) C took 18 months because of life events and that we were doing a lot of unstructured math, including introductory algebra and calculus, not because it was difficult for DD.

I guess I didn't express myself well before. Are there any topics that don't really show up well in the check lists and table of contents?

Re: Re: Re: skipping level D

Hello Faye,

I agree the List of Objectives seem quite simple. I have never felt they give the lessons learned in the program justice. In fact, I would think I knew everything in here
But the truth is the level is more involved then just a sentence given to the ability they will obtain.

In the first few lessons it will go over all of the addition and subtraction strategies again, then it will review some geometry and skip counting, time, fractions and so on then it moves on to more fractions, degrees in a circle then mastering multiple facts.

It teaches how to add and subtract measurements of ft. and in. How to partition place values, how to add many of the same number to prep them for large multiplying. It masters subtraction and borrowing, along with mastering mental subtraction. It introduces check numbers for subtracting. It does multiplying for double digits, in a very stress-less way, then more geometry and fractions and intro to division.

But if this is still too easy for her and moving to E sounds better. I would only caution you that she should be familiar with…
-fractions as they are taught right away.
-check numbers (adding and subtracting) (found in math games book too)
-her measurements in both standards

The book will assume that addition, subtraction, and most multiples are mastered, and mental math for those things are in place. So if you find she is struggling, you will need to stop and do more games to give her time to catch up on her skills, if her understanding is there.

You know what is best for your daughter so I will leave this choice to you only with a word of caution. If her foundation in Understanding is not solid, moving forward will not help her enjoy math any better. So please, make sure she can explain what she is doing, not just that she can do it. Those are completely separate abilities.

Most kids who learn math only understand the theory of math, but can not apply it in real life. I liken it to learning how to drive. You get a booklet from the state and you memorize it then you take a test. Let’s say you get 100% on the test. Did it make you a good driver? No, it just means you memorized the “theory” of driving. In order to become a good driver you have to get in the car and “apply” the theory. Only with practicing driving do you start to internalize the driving rules and become a better driver. The same is true with math. The books and worksheets provide the “theory” of math, while our Math Card Games provides the “application” of math. As they use both, they understand math as a whole. This will help them in the long run in higher mathematics and everyday math. So make sure she can do both and she will do just fine in the higher math.

You do not say how old she is, but I would like to tell you that Level C normally takes longer than a school year, so her taking longer even when it was not her doing shows good progress. My son, too, took about 18 months in Level C and I wanted to skip forward as I felt he was bored, and I knew he could do more. But with the advise of Dr. Cotter pointing out the error of trying to skip the foundations in favor of the higher math leads to more problems than not. So I held off, and I am glad I did. He is now 11 and in the Geometric Approach and doing so well. He is mature enough to do it on his own, and has a desire to move forward. Since the middle of Level E he has been solving algebraic problems all the time, but now he has the resources to explain why he does it. So I really have found the benefit to sticking with each level, but like I said, you know her best and this is a choice that you must make.

So I hope I answered your question, there are a few things she may struggle with if she does not have mastery in some parts. If she does well with multiplying by double digits, and understands basic fractions, and to carry when adding and to borrow when subtracting, to do mental math by grouping by five and tens, she should be able to do it. Just plan on staying on some topics longer then it says, when she needs more time with a particular concept. And if she like algebra she will love the warm up puzzles in Level E.

If you have more questions you may email me. If you would like suggestions on games call our 888-272-3291 number and we can give you suggestions for the ones that would fit her needs.

Thank you,
Carissa
Customer Service Rep