Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Level C: Multiplication Tables

Dear Eli,
Thanks for your good question. It is important that multiplication facts become automatic. Games are the best way to assure this. The skip counting patterns help children to visualize the connection between the facts. These patterns make it easier for your child to check to see if they have put the correct answer which gives him/her confidence and empowers them. The math card games book has a whole section of multiplication games. One of my favorites is "Who's On Top?" to drill the basic multiplication families. Playing Multiplication War helps them to learn them in a random order. The key is to keep playing various games until your child has them clear in their mind. Also use the abacus and the math balance so they have a visual of the quantities. Skip counting will be necessary for reducing fractions, converting from mixed numbers to improper fractions, etc. Hope this helps. If you still have a question please write back.
Nancy

Re: Re: Level C: Multiplication Tables

Nancy,
Thank you for the quick response. I appreciate the suggestions about games and have had time to rethink my question. I do not question the importance of memorizing the multiplication tables; rather I am unclear as to why--or if-- it is important or better to memorize them in the "set pattern" in which they appear on the envelopes (the same way we are instructed to write them out for the lessons) as opposed to memorizing the facts by some other means
( games, flash cards, repetition). I have not seen this method before and will be more effective if I understand what we're laying a foundation for.
Thank you again.

Re: Re: Re: Level C: Multiplication Tables

The patterns on the skip counting envelopes aren't exactly "required" to memorize the facts.

Instead, the way they are laid out is a tool for the child to first get used to the skip counting by seeing the visual cues--it helps them see that they have the numbers correct.
For instance, the 3's..
The way they are written in groups of three will help him (while he is first learning them) that he has the correct number because he will see the if the patterns are there or not.

so should write down
3 6 9
12 14 18
21 24 27

he can see right away that something is wrong because he hs learned that the ones place only has one of each digit and look there are TWO 4's.
Then he can self correct.

Secondly, it adds to his mental/visual picture.
as you play the games and write the skip counting down he will start to rely on the way they are laid out. So instead of visualizing flash cards that have no answers, he will see skip counting that has all the answers.

So could a child learn their Multiplcation without this pattern? Sure. But the benefits of having the patterns there makes it a superior tool,afterall, children are always looking for patterns. Doing the skip counting this way helps them to achieve the pattern solving more quickly.

It may seem that it is a lot to ask of a child, but they do get it. And the amazing part is they will start to show YOU strategies!

I have been amazed at what my kids have found--things not even in the book.

Kim