Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Jr Hi curriculum

Dear Nora,
Thank you for sharing your concerns about the Jr high curriculum. I believe I can answer your questions from Dr. Cotter's perspective. I am the school coordinator and we deal with this question a lot right now. Dr. Cotter is busily working on creating the geometric approach, but she has the next two components already outlined and is moving into completing them as soon as possible. She has to study and learn what is being done in every state in order to meet or exceed state standards. Plus she has to learn the terminology for many new branches of mathematics that were not even around when she went through school. She is very diligent and thorough in her preparation, that is why the program is so successful. It is like completing a separate doctorate for each grade she writes. She is truly an amazing and gifted woman. Anyway, the plan is to complete the geometric approach, then work on the algebraic approach. Finally she will write one more component that will have a lot of practical math similar to consumer math, but much more practical with every day uses of mathematics. It is exciting to see where this is going, but you have to be patient. It is much more difficult than this post can express in a few words. In the meantime our students are using the geometric approach along with playing the games to solidify the basics. Use this transition time to be sure your child has mastered conceptual thinking. Problem solving, real life problems, deeper level reasoning. The Japanese often give one or two problems in a math class and the children have to really understand the principles of mathematics. Video Text is the curriculum we recommend to use after the geometric approach. It is a high school program, but it follows our philosophy so closely that it dovetails well with our program. Then students are ready for higher level mathematical reasoning.

I hope this helps. Please continue to check back to see how things are progressing or ask any further questions. I will do my best to answer them.
Nancy