Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Level C: purpose of multiplication arrays that you briefly flash during warm-ups

I'm not understanding how to do these exercises in the warm ups of Level C nor their specific purpose. These arrays have come up several times in Level C and I decided it is time I ask for help! :)

Perhaps I'm mistaken and child is to only come up with the equation 7 X 7 or 6 X 8, but the book also gives the answers to the equations so I'm assuming they are to come up with answers as well.

For example, Lesson 54 has you flash 7 X 7 for 3 seconds and asks for them to come up with the equation. DD can easily come up with the equation 7 X 7, but not the answer. She gives me a blank stare when I ask her for the answer. How am I to instruct her to "see" the answer? If she uses "give and take" then she can figure out the answer, or if I let her look at it for a long time, she can eventually come up with an answer, but she is not seeing it when I "flash it" for 3 seconds. So what is the purpose of this particular warm-up?

When I look at the 7 X 7 array, here is what I "see". I immediately see a group of 25 dark beads, then I see a group of 10 light beads to the right of the 25 (25 + 10 = 35). Next I see a group of 10 light beads below the 25 (35 + 10 = 45), then I see 4 remaining dark beads (45 = 4 = 49). Is this what we are supposed to "see"? If so, I see it easily, but dd does not. How should I proceed with her?

The other array was 6 X 8. How should I "see" the answer to this problem? Again, I immediately see the group of 25 dark beads and a group of 5 light beads to the right of it (25 + 5 = 30). Then I see 3 groups of 5 light beads underneath the group of 25 beads (30 + 15 = 45), and there are 3 dark beads remaining (45 + 3 = 48).

Thanks for your help! Hope my questions make sense as it is a challenge to communicate them in print! :)
Marla

Re: Level C: purpose of multiplication arrays that you briefly flash during warm-ups

I've wanted to ask the very same question!!!! I've had DS give the answer to the array. When I see 6x8, I see 5 taken 8 times (DS can skip count this to 40) and a vertical row of 8 beads (40+8). For 7x7, I see 5 taken 7 times (35 - again counting by 5s)+ 2 columns of 7 (14) then 35+14. Are these the types of strategies DS should be seeing when flashing the abacus?

thansk!

Re: Re: Level C: purpose of multiplication arrays that you briefly flash during warm-ups

I certainly don't know the answer as to the purpose of flashing a multiplication array, but I like your explanation concerning what you "see" when you look at it various equations. Thanks!

Re: Re: Re: Level C: purpose of multiplication arrays that you briefly flash during warm-ups

I would think flashing the array is trying to get them to see the arrays in their mind so they are no longer dependent on the abacus.

Exactly!

Yes, it's all about visual memory and "seeing" quantities. Remember there is always more than one way to solve a problem. For instance if your child likes to do the trading to "see" the answer, that is one way to solve the problem. However, with an array and being able to see it as both of you described quite well, you are able to "see" the abacus in your head so when there is no abacus present.....you can still "see"/use the strategy of seeing the beads to solve a problem. Also, as you continue to do this and to play the math card games the automaticity of answering math facts will come.

Does this make sense? Thanks for posting your questions.

Rosine

Re: Exactly!

Thanks Rosine.