Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Double digit addition - Level B

Dear Brett,

Thank you for posting your questions. You are very wise to take these lessons slowly. In fact I would like to recommend that you consider taking a break from the lessons and just play games for a while, giving your child's brain time to think through all she has learned up to this point. I would recommend playing corners allowing her to have her abacus beside her as she adds up her score.

As far as taking the numbers 36+25 there are two ways to solve this one. The way you stated is a good way to make sure no numbers are lost in the process, however, I know with my son, he liked to add the 10's place first, then the ones place. If he had to trace 10 ones for a 10 he did so. So what he still does would be to add 36+25 as 30+20+6+5=50+11=61. As long as your child can keep track of the numbers this is fine to do. three and four digit addition will be done on paper.

Your post was not confusing for me to follow. Please know that it is very common around lesson 70, give or take, for children to need some time to stop and take time to think through their math (assimilate) all the new information they have been taught, and play games. Sometimes even taking a few days off from math all together is ok. We at RightStart really believe that games are to math as books are to reading....please play the games. :)

I hope this helps answer your question. Please feel free to email, call or post any other questions you might have or to continue this conversation.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Re: Double digit addition - Level B

Brett,
I just had to write and say that I could have written your ENTIRE post about my son. You took the words out of my mouth. I found Rosine's advice very helpful, and plan to slow down and do just games for a while. I just wanted you to know that you aren't the only one!
Happy teaching,
Lizzy