Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Number puzzles Level E

Dear Kelly,
Thanks for your post. It is good to share openly with others and find support. As I read your post and Rosine's great advice it made me think a bit deeper. Why do we do the warmups? When you think about that perhaps you will come to realize how important they are to lay a foundation for your child to see the interconnectedness in math. They help him see if I multiply on one side and it works, then I can probably do the "inverse" which is dividing and it will work too. These discoveries help him see that math is much more than just memorizing numbers and finishing pages. He begins to see the bigger picture and then he is ready for higher level thinking.

I taught Level E for many years and here are some ideas I used. Again, you are trying to get your son to discover these for himself, but until he does some priming of the pump might be necessary.
Try writing out the problem three ways and putting an equal sign in a different place each time. for instance:
1= 2 3 4 [1=2+3-4]
1 2=3 4 [-1+2 =-3 +4 or 1-2=3-4]
1 2 3=4 [1-2-3=-4 OR -1+2+3=4]

Another idea is to show him how each problem has a positive and negative example by just changing the sign in front you have two problems for every one you can think of, as in the last two example above.

He may also need to "see" how it works and the math balance is a great tool for that.

I hope this helps give you some more ideas. Please keep in touch if you have any more questions or if you need more ideas.
Nancy

Starting again

Dear Nancy and Rosine,

What I did was to rewrite the number puzzles, one set per page, in a spiral notebook. He is starting again from the very beginning, and we'll just continue through the summer with the number puzzles (we always do math games through the summer anyway).

I will definately have him use the hint of writing the equal sign in a different place for each row of numbers.

Thanks.

Kelly

Sounds great.

I'm glad to read that you do math in the summer. We do this too and I find it helpful for keeping up my children's math skills. Sounds like you have everything set and ready to go.

Thanks for sharing with us what you plan on doing.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Number puzzles Level E

We had a hard time getting through the puzzles until I realized he doesn't HAVE to figure them all out from scratch - I could not even do that. We give hints like the others suggest, we also switch off days - one day he plays teacher and gives me hints and the next day is my turn to give him hints. This helped us enjoy and appreciate them.