Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: level B, side 2, Trading

Dear Wendy,

Thanks for your post. I did notice that you posted on the RS Yahoo board, which is great because there as you know, you will find a wealth of experience and good guidance. The post by Lisa says much of what I would say to you. ex: How does your child do with trading base 10 cards? Does he understand and "see" trading on the front side of the abacus? Does he recognize the numbers on side two?

When working on the back of the abacus, have him count by twos. When he counts out the 10 ones for a trade, again have him count by two from the bottom so he definitely sees the 2 left at the top during the trade. Another suggestion is if you do have a second abacus do the trading on the front with one and on the back with the other so he can see the relationship between the two. With both trading on the front and back he will see that there is still one ten and two ones.

Also, it is perfectly fine and even good to just give it a rest for a little bit. As in, take a few days off and play some math card games. Come back to this lesson or even move on to the next lesson. Often children, as well as adults, just need time to process what is going on in their learning experience. His brain is trying to make sense of what trading is and how it fits into his math understanding.

Does this make sense? Let me know if this helps and, always feel free to email, call or post any questions you have regarding RS.

Thanks for giving your child a RightStart in math.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Re: level B, side 2, Trading

I need some clarification on page 93 (lesson 46) for Level B. The written text is confusing to me.

"show him also how to find the answer on side 2." Is this done by using two separate abacus', the 1st one with the stairs, the 2nd one on side 2 starting at square 1?

I'm also fuzzy on what do with the columns between the different place values on side 2. Is there somewhere that explains this more.

Thank you.

Valerie

Re: Re: Re: level B, side 2, Trading

Valerie,
First of all, I am not an official rightstart rep, just a parent using rightstart.

You can either use a second abacus or erase side one, and proceed to do the problem on side 2.

As far as the columns between the place values on side 2, you don't really have to "do" anything with them. They are mostly there just to give a little space between the different units (ones, tens, hundreds, etc.)

Hope that helps some.

Lisa

Re: level B, side 2, Trading

Thanks Lisa.

After reading a few things on the forum, it became clearer to me.

thanks for taking the time to reply.

Valerie