Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
picturing the abacus

My older son is doing well in book C, but one issue keeps coming up. He says that it's hard for him to picture the abacus in his head. He is able to easily show me how to solve just about any problem on the abacus, but that's not how he usually thinks about the problems. My younger son (who has used only RS math - unlike his brother) visualizes everything exactly as he has been taught.

So, my question is, should I 'push' the abacus with my older son? (i.e. have him check his work with it -- or something like that) Will that even help? Is it necessary? He works confidently and accurately with no counting and can use all of the strategies introduced in the books.

Thanks,
Lizzy

Re: picturing the abacus

Dear Lizzy, If you older son is doing well and understands and uses the strategies he is fine the way he is. Use the abacus as needed to teach for understanding. From what you are saying I think he has some mental picture in his mind when he is solving equations. Sounds like he is doing just fine at this point. The important thing is that he understands and applies strategies and understands, applies and enjoys math.

Thanks for your questions. And, thanks for giving your children a RightStart in math.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Re: picturing the abacus

Thanks for your reply. I talked with him a little more about this during math today and you're right. He does picture things, but not usually on the abacus. I just can't help noticing that 'the abacus way' used by my younger son is more efficient and easily applied to virtually any problem.

And I just have to say how very very happy we are with this program. I used to teach public elementary school and wish I had known about this program at the time. My kids have a confidence and flexibility with math that I used to really struggle to instill in my 2nd graders. I'm glad to have stopped at the RS booth at our homeschooling convention -- I almost walked on by!

Re: Re: Re: picturing the abacus

Thanks for your nice post. I'm glad you stopped by the booth at the homeschool show as well. i also wish I had known about RightStart when I was teaching 9th grade basic math classes back when I was teaching in a high school. I know the children I worked with would have benefitted greatly from being able to "see" quantities and how numbers work together.

I do think as time moves on your older son may start seeing math more through the abacus. You'll have to let us know.

Thanks for your post and your comments.

Sincerely, Rosine