Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Entering numbers on side 2 of the abacus

Hi!

My ds is doing GREAT with RS! However, he naturally wants to enter numbers on side 2 of the abacus, like he did on side 1 of the abacus, instead of entering them in pairs. He is willing to enter them in pairs, but neither he nor I understand why they should be entered in twos instead of in a straight line.

Could you help me understand why they need to be entered in pairs both for my sake and so that I can explain it to him?

BTW, I have a dd who is in Level A (my ds is in Level B). Both love the program! Usually they are both very excited to do math every day!

Thank You!
Lisa

Re: Entering numbers on side 2 of the abacus

Dear Lisa. Thanks for your nice post. So glad to hear that your children enjoy math so much. :)

The reason to enter pairs on the back side of the abacus is so you can easily see the two fives and be able to recognize when to trade for example, 10 ones for 1 ten. If for example you put 7 on one string and then added 4 on the other string you would not be able to visualize quickly that you have 11, however, if you added 7 by using the doubles technique and then added four you could see easily that you have two 5's and one more making it an easy visual to trade.

Does this make sense? It really is all about being able to "see", visualize quantities. The AL abacus and how Dr. Cotter has us use it is set up for us to "see" the numbers the easiest way.

I hope this help answer your question. Please feel free to email, call or post any other questions you have or to continue this conversation.

Sincerely, Rosine