Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Make sure to use the abacus.

Thanks Marti for your reply. Here are some thoughts as well. First off, make sure your daughter is using the abacus. And yes, as Marti said, she needs to have completed the transition book before moving ahead in Level D. She is not behind. Your daughter needs to be where her math level is not where her age group or stated grade is.

I would need to know more in relation to her math ability to recommend anything else at this point, however, I do think Marti has good solid advice.

Please continue this dialogue with us.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Make sure to use the abacus.

Thank you both for your replies. I talked to the co-op and if needed, it would be possible for her to do 2nd grade math. Before I make that switch, I am going to continue practicing with her and finish the transition lessons. I think she is motivated to stay with her current class, and honestly, she only struggles on some concepts that I feel just need extra practice. I did realize after that day that we should have had her pull out the abacus to avoid all of those tears.

Great! :)

Sounds like you have it figured out. This is good. And, thanks for posting.

Please let us know how your daughter is doing.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: New student with frustration

Have you tried playing some of the multiplication games with her? Who's On Top is a great one, so is multiplication Memory using the sevens or any other family she is having trouble with. Also, using the envelopes and the abacus to help her visualize the groups of seven would really help. You can also use the math balance and help her to see what multiples of seven look like. These are some ideas, the key is using whatever visual you can until she gets it.
Nancy