Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
It's never too late. It's all about the math level a child is at.

Dear Samantha,

Thanks for posting your questions. Here's one option you could consider and actually stated in your post. And, that is to work through the Transition book, which will be very easy and seem too simple at first, yet it will also show her how math works. After working through the transition book, you could even move into Level E, or better yet, "camp out" with the games. Start with the section you want to work on most, I'm thinking multiplication, and go through that section of the game book, one game at a time. There you can have fun and still review and work through the concepts. You can do this for the other sections as well, as in division and fractions. Or, you could move into Level E. Check out the table of contents of both Level E and the Level D book you have. Remember these are levels and not grades so hopefully that will help your daughter not feel insulted. Also please know that there are many children who work through Levels D and E even when they are in 7th grade. It's not about what grade a child is in it's what math level they are at that makes the difference.

I hope this helps. Please keep asking your questions and thanks for giving your children a RightStart in math.

Sincerely, Rosine

Re: Starting late with older daughter

First off, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have. Seems like we've been in similar circumstances.

Last yr, we started RS. Our oldest then were 14yo dd and 12 1/2 yo ds, and they did E together. They don't really enjoy math, but they did fine! Since I had them doing the level together, I also had them playing the games 4-5 days/wk. If they needed help w/ the games, I'd play w/ them till they understood it. But usually they played them on their own together.

We also used to do Saxon. W/ our oldest dd, she used it K-76, but we really got burned out. She did ok w/ it. Or oldest ds didn't like it. I knew I had to switch because the next dd couldn't have handled 54 on up. She would've been in tears too often! She just learns differently and RS seems to be able to help her (and the rest) comprehend better. We used a couple other programs between Saxon and RS, but they just didn't do what I'd hoped.

Our oldest 2 also thought the transition lessons were really easy, which I thought was better than them being discouraged before we even started E.

Our next 2 started B last fall and will finish C next week! They just had b-days, so they're now 10 yo dd and 12 yo dd. They've been able to move quicker through the levels, so they won't be so far behind forever. And I know that they're "getting it"!

Let me know if I can be of any encouragement to you!
Marti