Return to Website

Post a message or simply read what others have written and answered. Rachel, a RightStart™ Math user and one of our customer care people, will be monitoring this forum. She will respond to your questions as needed.

Have a great day and remember to play a math card game! 

Welcome
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Exactly. Thanks Marti.

Yes, I agree, what is important is that our children understand what they are doing. And, in the school classroom there are children of many differing abilities, some of whom would do much better if they could be at a different "grade" level. Our classrooms are geared to a child's grade baste on age, not ability. The homeschool "classroom" is based on ability and understanding, not on age.

As far as Level D. If a child starts Level A at roughly a kindergarten level/age, then they could roughly be in level E by 4th grade. This did not happen for my children and I know for many others as well. Grade levels are only there as markers basically for those who want to have some kind of a marker. Unfortunately these markers also cause us to worry as parents because we want our child to be at least at some mystified grade level at least and at best, ahead of grade level. From my experience, a child in Level D would do fine in a 4th grade traditional classroom simply because RightStart is ahead of traditional math concepts simply because of the way it presents and teaches concepts. I believe the best and most beneficial questions we can ask ourselves as parents are questions addressing our children's understanding of the math concepts presented in relation to their over all knowledge of math and the ability to apply math to real world situations/abstractions and if it is also enjoyable and challenging.

I know this is a longer answer than you wanted and addresses more than the original question on this chain, however, I felt what I stated may be of some help and also some clarification as well.

Feel free to continue this conversation as well as asking other questions regarding RS.

Thanks for giving your children a RightStart in math.

Sincerely, Rosine